Pond Boss
Posted By: Eric Houchin asian carp - 06/27/03 05:02 PM
Hey Ifigured with the collective knowledge of this forum somebody probably knows something about this asian carp problem I saw on the tube last night. Fish jumping into boats kind of ugly junk fish looking. The comment was made that they threaten the great lakes. Well living in Western Michigan that gets my attention. What are they and what can be done to stop this or should I take a xanax and just relax. Also does anyone know the status of LMB virus in Michigan?

Experts?
Posted By: Pottsy Re: asian carp - 06/27/03 06:13 PM
Here is a link to some information on the various types of currently imported Asian Carp. I believe they were imported for the most part to serve various purposes in Aquaculture tanks such as snail and algae control and many have escaped into rivers etc. from overflow or pond flooding.
Asian Carp

What can be done to stop their spread? Well not a whole lot I don't believe. They are trying methods of localized poisoning and shocking etc. But apparently they are prolific breeders and are sold live at some fish markets. (Including the asian fish market not far from me as mentioned in the latest issue of PondBoss)
As per ususal good intentions of the few may have bad results for the many.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: asian carp - 06/27/03 07:06 PM
I hate to sound like a pesimist, but they will eventually probably make into the Great Lakes. One is confirmed to have been seen in the Great Lakes and where theres one there is probably more. If you know anything about fish, you know they are escape artists and evolved to move into new areas. It's a shame though.

Our government has it head up its a#S and is regulating things that don't need regulated, and asleep at the wheel for more important things. We should have learned our lesson from the first carp we introduced. These carp should never have been allowed into the country.

Hopefully they will not be as damaging as predicted as the zebra mussel damage predictions that were overblown.
© Pond Boss Forum