Pond Boss
Posted By: george MARKING FINGERLING BASS? - 06/19/03 10:27 AM
We are stocking 100 fingerling Florida bass to our two year old pond, in the hope that a "few" will survive.
Is ther a way to clip a fin to identify the bass?
We are presently culling everything under 1-2 pounds.
If so, can you tell me how?
soon
Posted By: tim k Re: MARKING FINGERLING BASS? - 06/19/03 12:07 PM
Believe it or not, I use a small paper hole punch and clip a hole in the back tail fin of the bass - doesn't hurt the bass at all - eventually will grow back over but you can still see the outline of the hold punch
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: MARKING FINGERLING BASS? - 06/19/03 01:33 PM
Tim used to do the same with a hole punch when stocking fed trained bass in existing bass ponds. However it is hard to see after a few months and definently a year. A better method is clipping the pelvic fin. This is the fin under the jaw. It does not serve a big purpose for a bass and can be noticed easily by flipping the bass over when you catch one.

George the problem is on a fingerling bass you will have to get a method that is quick. The fingerlings are senstivie fish that can not be out of water for long. Are they 2 inches or 4? If 4 I would try one of the methods but one a 2 inch fingerling I would not risk killin'em. Good luck.
Posted By: george Re: MARKING FINGERLING BASS? - 06/19/03 06:05 PM
Thanks Tim for the hole punch tip – I’ll remember that for future use.
Also to Greg – talked to Bob Waldrop of Tyler Fish Farms (advertising sponsor PB), and he advised against marking the fingerling bass.

I was to pick up the Floridas tomorrow, but since our pond is teeming with last years 6 inch spawners, he suggested rounding up every kid in the neighborhood and pounding the smaller bass for 10 days or so – then stock the florida fingerlings.
george
© Pond Boss Forum