Pond Boss
Posted By: VAPond2003 frogs and salamanders - 06/01/03 02:07 AM
I've noticed that my pond has alot of frogs and salamanders along the shore. Do these offer a significant food source for my Bass or are they just an occasional snack? just curious \:\)
Posted By: Brian Loberger Re: frogs and salamanders - 06/01/03 03:31 AM
I do not know about the salamanders. We don't see many of them in Wisconsin. We do have a lot of varieties of frogs. Right now my pond has tadpoles in every foot of shoreline and they are fed on heavily by my bass and bluegill. They do not provide a good source later in the summer because the little ones are gone and the adults are afraid to be in the water. If you throw a frog into the water they get back out as fast as they can. They make a good snack for a few weeks in the spring helping my fatheads to get a chance to spawn.
Posted By: Robert B Re: frogs and salamanders - 06/03/03 03:01 AM
My guess is that your salamanders are actually eastern newts, and the adults aren't eaten by bass due to bad taste. They supposedly eat fish eggs, which I haven't seen though. They are a sign of good water quality since they absorb chemicals in the water through their skin. Consider yourself lucky.
Robert B
© Pond Boss Forum