Pond Boss
Posted By: BrianH fire ants - 08/03/02 07:54 PM
Hey pond guys, what do you do about fireants (Is that one word or two?)? Even all natural insecticides have labels that say they're toxic to fish.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: fire ants - 08/05/02 03:32 AM
In reality, water is also "toxic" to humans. I won't go into the details for product labeling, but virtually every pesticide product will state similar verbiage, but the intent in most cases is to warn against direct applications to any aquatic environment OR to avoid aquatic site contaminations from point-source concentrations.
As for what to use for fire ants: run a check on some new insecticide chemistry marketed as "Top Choice" and "Firestar". Both products contain the active-ingredient FIPRONIL (the first product is a granular formulation designed for broadcast/residual treatments while the second product is a granular "bait" formulation. This new chemistry is absolutely awesome and very environmentally-friendly. The manufacturer is Aventis. (run a web search using Dogpile.com for more info). Good luck. KD
Posted By: Bob Koerber Re: fire ants - 08/05/02 12:56 PM
Hi Brian I use the boiling water method, I take the Coleman Stove out by the pond get a big pot of water boiling and dump it on the hill, it does not kill the mound but normally forces them to move away from the edge of the pond where I can then use granules to kill them. Bob
Posted By: BrianH Re: fire ants - 08/05/02 04:42 PM
Thank you.
© Pond Boss Forum