Pond Boss
Posted By: Dobber "Tagging" Bass? - 07/18/02 01:44 PM
Has or does anyone "tag" the bass they catch? It seems like it would be a nice management tool. If so, what is a reliable way to do it? What kind of results have you noted?

(Double posted under "Evaluating and adjusting fish populations")
Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: "Tagging" Bass? - 07/19/02 02:45 PM
Dobber, I've been tagging some of my bass for a couple years. I use a tagging system from one of the advertizers in Pond Boss. I keep a note pad and pencil in my tackle bag and note the tag number, length and weight whenever I catch a tagged fish. Helps to keep track of the growth, or lack of, of various size fish.
Dan
Posted By: casca Re: "Tagging" Bass? - 07/19/02 09:15 PM
Dan, I would like to get the name or number of the place where you purchased the tags. I have been getting pond boss for a little over a year, but have never seen that ad.

Thanks
Posted By: Dobber Re: "Tagging" Bass? - 07/20/02 01:55 AM
Ditto, casca...
Please let us know the source.

Dob
Posted By: Wesley Ellis Re: "Tagging" Bass? - 07/23/02 06:04 PM
I use "Fin Pals" tags by strike king. I bought them from thr Bass Pro Shop. They come with cards that you fill out with the information of the bass and the fishing conditions. You send this card in and they will mail you a certificate with all the bass info that you gave them for the fish tag number.
And if you recatch the bass, just flip to the appropriate certificate. The tag itself has the tag number and a phone number so if you caught a bass in public water, you can call and give them that tag number and they will send you the original certificate.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: "Tagging" Bass? - 07/23/02 11:05 PM
Paul Dorsett (a PB Advertiser) has an ample supply of fish tags and tagging tools. He may be contacted at pdorsett@myriad.net
Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: "Tagging" Bass? - 07/24/02 02:32 AM
Casca and Dobber---Sorry, I was out of town for the weekend. I use tags and the tagging gun from Paul Dorsett as KM Duffie advised in his post above.

Dan
Posted By: David Reed Re: "Tagging" Bass? - 07/25/02 09:25 PM
I use a tagging gun when I introduce new genetics. This keeps them from ending up in the frying pan. My pond is 25 years old so a few years ago, I decided it would be worth the effort to start bringing in some new genetics. Most of the bass that I bring in are in the range that I harvest. The tagging has worked great for this project.
Posted By: Fishman Re: "Tagging" Bass? - 07/25/02 09:42 PM
David,

That makes sense. Interesting approach.
Posted By: Dobber Re: "Tagging" Bass? - 07/26/02 04:10 AM
Thanks for the posts. I was planning on using it to monitor growth (or lack therof, ;\) ) as well. For future reference, I contacted Paul at the above address and got this:

Quote:
The kit comes w/ a tagging gun, video, and 10 tags. The tags are a t-bar style that inserts into the muscle of the fish behind the dorsal fin. The tag is left streaming behind the fish. The 10 tags w/ the kit are numbered. Additional tags are numbered or non-numbered tags are available.

The kit is $40.
Additional numbered tags are $1 each.
Non-numbered tags are $0.20 each.
+ shipping

Thanks for your interest.

Paul
I think I'll go with the numbered ones, easier to log, I suppose, but a little spendy!

Dob
© Pond Boss Forum