Pond Boss
Posted By: Dieselscout80 Bream Freshly Hatched?? - 03/31/24 09:38 PM
What do bluegill look when first out of eggs and how long?

We saw a couple schools of really small fish in our pond like quarter inch or less.

Could they be bream?

We live in South Carolina.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Bream Freshly Hatched?? - 04/01/24 12:23 PM
At birth, to the naked eye seeing the frye in the water, they're going to look like almost any newborn fish.

It's on the early end for bluegill spawn, but nothings out of the realm of possibility.

Within a week or so, they should take on the more standard 'oval' shape of a bluegill, if that's what they are.
Posted By: Dieselscout80 Re: Bream Freshly Hatched?? - 04/01/24 12:59 PM
Thanks
Posted By: ewest Re: Bream Freshly Hatched?? - 04/01/24 06:56 PM
This may help.

Attached picture 64.jpg
Attached picture 64aPB140032.jpg
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Bream Freshly Hatched?? - 04/01/24 09:13 PM
20 days old is WAY too young for me to positively identify. (Thanks for those excellent pictures.)

OTOH, I am very impressed that you use a 100' steel tape to measure your fish. You must be planning on raising some true lunkers down in Mississippi! grin
Posted By: Dieselscout80 Re: Bream Freshly Hatched?? - 04/05/24 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by ewest
This may help.

Thanks

That’s about the size of what I saw.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Bream Freshly Hatched?? - 04/06/24 01:35 AM
Most likely not BG. They could be LMB fry if they were gathered together in a big group - LMB spawn before BG. FHM also spawn close to the water temperature when LMB spawn. Check the water temperature LMB first spawn at water temp of 59F and BG spawn at temp of 69F. Fatheads spawn at 60-61F.
Posted By: ewest Re: Bream Freshly Hatched?? - 04/09/24 10:13 PM
LMB fry

Attached picture LMB fry ball P5150060.jpg
Attached picture P5150040.jpg
Posted By: Dieselscout80 Re: Bream Freshly Hatched?? - 04/15/24 09:17 AM
I was thinking that BG hatched first and then LMB do I have it backwards?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Bream Freshly Hatched?? - 04/15/24 02:47 PM
Dieselscout - Yes you have your LMB-BG spawning temperature thinking backwards. It would be very hard for BG to spawn before LMB when bass start spawning at water temps of 59F to 60F and BG start spawning at 69F-70Fand BG have been observed to continue spawning clear up to 89F. Fisheries need a new crop of predators each year to keep the new crop of forage fish from becoming over abundant. Balance of prey - predator is important for maintaining good wildlife populations. Overabundant forage fish can limit the recruitment of predators which is not a good thing.

https://www.fws.gov/species/largemouth-bass-micropterus-salmoides

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/bgl/
Posted By: Snipe Re: Bream Freshly Hatched?? - 04/15/24 06:41 PM
BG are very light colored on top and are very hard to see.. LMB/SMB are very dark on top and very easy to see when beginning swim-up stage, which would be my guess.
© Pond Boss Forum