Pond Boss
Posted By: TEC Stocking Bass - 03/19/24 04:23 PM
My one acre, 16 ft deep lake in East Texas is spring fed with about 4 gallons a second. The pH is 6.2 but the alkalinity is 20 and sometimes less. I don't think I can raise the alkalinity because of the high water flow. The lake was built last August and at that time I added 10 lbs of FHM and 500 3-4" CNBG. They seem to be OK and spawning. I plan to add 100 2-3" Redear Sunfish next week. I feed twice a day for one second each. I want a sunfish & bass fishery and plan to add bass in mid to late summer. I've read it's not a good idea to mix northern LMB with Florida strain or Hybrids. Is that true?
I'm leaning toward stocking 50 Northern LMB.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Stocking Bass - 03/19/24 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by TEC
I've read it's not a good idea to mix northern LMB with Florida strain or Hybrids. Is that true?
I'm leaning toward stocking 50 Northern LMB.

I think that depends on your goals?

Lots of experts on Pond Boss concerning LMB stocking (not me). However, I think "experimental" data is also very valuable.

Are you able to affordably stock small batches of LMB? (For example, pick up yourself, or you are close to your fish supplier so the delivery fee is relatively low.)

If so, then you could try all three types and mark them. See which thrives in your pond (for your goals) and favor the winner for future stockings (or cull the others selectively moving forward).

P.S. What is your approximate latitude in E. Texas? The experts may need that to give you their best advice. The farther south you are, the more advantage to the Florida Bass in getting bigger.
Posted By: TEC Re: Stocking Bass - 03/19/24 05:20 PM
My lake is between Centerville and Crockett. I'm 20 minutes from Overton's Fishery so I can easily pick up fish for stocking. I wouldn't mind a half dozen of the Hybrid Striped Bass but feel they would eat everything out of a one acre lake. I've read Florida Bass are hook shy. That's why I'm leaning toward native Northern LMB.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Stocking Bass - 03/19/24 05:48 PM
Your location sounds like some excellent bass country!

Also great that you are so close to Overton's.

Lots of threads on catchability, versus other bass traits.

I think(?) Floridas would be best for the absolutely heaviest bass you could produce in your pond. However, if you mostly want family to have a fun fishing pond for LMB, then Northern strain might be the best. Lots of excellent bass ponds in Texas long before Florida Bass were introduced.

Are the two types of BG going to be your only bass forage (after the FHMs are gone)?

Can you get threadfin shad at Overton's? That might be a great supplement and I believe Lusk really likes them for Texas ponds. (Also, with the TFS, you might easily support a few HSB.)

Good luck on your pond project! Can't wait to get fishing reports in a few years.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Stocking Bass - 03/19/24 06:19 PM
Overton has his own strain of LMB called "Camelot Bell," I believe. It's worth asking about them.

Regarding HSB, I don't think they eat more, per say, then LMB.

Adding 5-10 HSB in your 1 acre pond would be a nice benefit with little downside, IMO.
Posted By: ewest Re: Stocking Bass - 03/19/24 06:30 PM
+ 1 on Sunil's post. HSB also do well on feed. I have used Fla and Northern LMB in ponds and lakes without any problems. Best way is to add a few of each. In the zone where Northern and Fla both live naturally (includes E TX) there should be no problem with them intermixing. It has been done all over TX by TPWD without any note of a problem in subsequent studies.
Posted By: Augie Re: Stocking Bass - 03/19/24 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by TEC
I wouldn't mind a half dozen of the Hybrid Striped Bass but feel they would eat everything out of a one acre lake.

I can't see that happening. I put 20 HSB in 1/3 acre pond fall of 2020 and they can't come close to controlling BG numbers.
Posted By: TEC Re: Stocking Bass - 03/20/24 02:45 AM
Thanks for the comments. I think I'll go with 25 Northern bass, 25 Floridas, and 6 Hybrid Stripers.
Any suggestions on raising the alkalinity with so much water constantly flowing thru?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Stocking Bass - 03/20/24 04:24 AM
Understand that you only get one chance to stock those guys. They will eat almost all of their progeny. And you will have some that don’t make it of the original stockers.

Flow through ponds are tough to balance and keep balanced.
Posted By: TEC Re: Stocking Bass - 03/20/24 01:48 PM
Dave, would you put in more hybrid stripers or none at all? They are not that important to me but thought a couple of lunkers could provide some surprises when we are fishing.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Stocking Bass - 03/20/24 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by TEC
Dave, would you put in more hybrid stripers or none at all? They are not that important to me but thought a couple of lunkers could provide some surprises when we are fishing.

Are you planning to feed? If you're not feeding, I'd stick with your number. When I first tried HSB (at the urging of my fish guy, and against my reluctance), I put (5) in a 4.5 acre pond. I didn't see them for a year, but when I did, they were balling up bait fish and creating melee' on the surface of the water. It was AWESOME!!

Also, with your depth of 16', I'm guessing you'll have some nice open water. As such, I wonder if threadfin shad might be a nice addition to the forage base. They might have to be added each year, but other Texans should know the answer to that.
Posted By: ewest Re: Stocking Bass - 03/20/24 05:59 PM
Is there any time when you are not losing water? If so, you could add ag lime at that point so some of it will get to the bottom. Also adding some limestone rock/gravel will help a little for a long time.
Posted By: TEC Re: Stocking Bass - 03/21/24 04:45 PM
There is always a steady flow across the spillway.
I know many lake owners would love a constant flow especially during a drought but that can have problems too. I am glad I have the springs.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Stocking Bass - 03/22/24 01:24 PM
Yeah, I wouldn’t be able to turn down the opportunity to have some huge fish. The stripers don’t last forever but they are a lot of fun while you do have them.
© Pond Boss Forum