Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Taking a dim view of cormorants... - 03/04/20 02:00 PM
Wonder if low visibility water might help fish escape cormorants. Does anybody know if cormorants prefer clear water for their vile activities?
Posted By: RStringer Re: Taking a dim view of cormorants... - 03/04/20 03:04 PM
I don't know the answer about that. I can say muddy water dosnt stop them. Mine is pretty muddy and I see them al the time.
Posted By: ewest Re: Taking a dim view of cormorants... - 03/04/20 03:34 PM
They are often attracted by shad or other silvery baitfish.

Here is one that was dumb enough to swim into a set beaver trap during high water.

Attached picture DamBlowout072.jpg
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Taking a dim view of cormorants... - 03/04/20 11:27 PM
I have to wonder whether they might key on ponds with feeders located around them. If they learn that ponds with feeders tend to have more fish and that they are concentrated near feeders at times ... maybe they learn these are the best ponds to target? The tend to breed further north ... so I wonder if pond owners in the south may benefit from removing feeders before they arrive numbers? Just throwing some ideas around. Rather damaging birds they are.
Originally Posted by jpsdad
I have to wonder whether they might key on ponds with feeders located around them. If they learn that ponds with feeders tend to have more fish and that they are concentrated near feeders at times ... maybe they learn these are the best ponds to target? The tend to breed further north ... so I wonder if pond owners in the south may benefit from removing feeders before they arrive numbers? Just throwing some ideas around. Rather damaging birds they are.

GBH has learned a neat trick, waits on pier till feeder goes off and jumps in water and grabs BG then flaps back up on pier to swallow it.....
Posted By: Zep Re: Taking a dim view of cormorants... - 03/05/20 01:03 AM
I have to wonder whether they might key on ponds with feeders located around them.

jpsdad...sounds logical........ I realize this is anecdotal, but I don't have a feeder on my big pond and that's where the water turkey's are gathering.
Dear Lord! That's one ugly bird!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Taking a dim view of cormorants... - 03/05/20 06:22 AM
They're even uglier on the inside.
Posted By: Zep Re: Taking a dim view of cormorants... - 03/05/20 07:37 PM
I'm gonna get this figured out eventually.....may try the ItalyBASS method with fishing line across most of my pond every 10-12 feet in conjunction with strategic large netting....or maybe some other plan.....but I'm not gonna allow them every winter to destroy my fish population

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: anthropic Re: Taking a dim view of cormorants... - 03/05/20 11:50 PM
Does the "OP" on my post stand for Old Person, Obese Person, or Obtuse Person?

Probably all three...
Posted By: snrub Re: Taking a dim view of cormorants... - 03/06/20 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson

GBH has learned a neat trick, waits on pier till feeder goes off and jumps in water and grabs BG then flaps back up on pier to swallow it.....

I have one that does that too Pat.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Taking a dim view of cormorants... - 03/06/20 12:13 PM
Putting some pressure daily on the birds seems to help to reduce numbers. We went from 10 to 5 to 2 coming to the pond in three days. And since the B. Eagle showed up I have not seen the Osprey flying over the pond.
Rehabbing a rent house and haven't made it to my place. No idea if they stopped by and cleaned me out again.
Posted By: esshup Re: Taking a dim view of cormorants... - 03/06/20 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
Rehabbing a rent house and haven't made it to my place. No idea if they stopped by and cleaned me out again.

You'll be done by Monday and can go there to check, plus you can see how much water you got!
I’m almost done but need an inspection by the city. I now have to meet the same standards that a hotel does. In other words, any commercial business. Ridiculous. I had to seal off plenums in the door vents of the hot water heater and the heat/AC door. Change out all the fire alarm systems(yep, gotta have that), New door leading to garage. Old one had glass to see into garage. I could go on for quite a while on the updates. Homeowners, like me, have to do none at their domiciles.
© Pond Boss Forum