Pond Boss
Posted By: RStringer Railroad tie riprap ? - 10/08/19 07:39 PM
Is it a bad idea to use railroad ties for riprap? I know they come with some kind of oil on them. I was thinking about using them sticking up and down. Kind of making a retaining wall of sort. I would like a edge so it drops off from zero to like 4 feet. I know just a dirt bank wont hold up after years of waves. Any ideas or suggestions ? And please if its a stupid idea just say hey dummy that's not a good idea. I'm not planning on doing the whole bank like that just like maybe 20-40 feet or so.
Posted By: Zep Re: Railroad tie riprap ? - 10/08/19 08:29 PM
RStringer....personally I wouldn't use them in the pond, but it's probably not the end of the world if you do. I see people use them as retaining walls at some lakes or at boat launches. I have a few around my place just not touching the water.

Water Contamination Dangers
Railroad ties can leach creosote into soil and water systems. Eating food or drinking water with high levels of creosote may cause burning in the mouth and throat, stomach pains, severe skin irritation, convulsions, and kidney and liver problems in humans. If the creosote leaches into the groundwater, it can adversely affect the ecosystem and the water quality. Sealing creosote-treated wood may help a little, but the chemicals may still find their way into the soil and groundwater. Railroad ties that are oozing creosote or smell strongly aren't safe to use.

Dangers of Railroad Ties
Posted By: jludwig Re: Railroad tie riprap ? - 10/08/19 08:47 PM
We have tried this and we had issues with water moving them around.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Railroad tie riprap ? - 10/09/19 12:55 AM
I thought I would bury them a couple feet. But yeah didnt think about them coming up. I'm going to pass on them now. I cant build a fence to stay straight now that I think of it.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Railroad tie riprap ? - 10/09/19 01:22 AM
Thank you both for the response. Yeah prolly not the best idea iv had. Worse part is it's not my worse idea either lol.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Railroad tie riprap ? - 10/09/19 01:34 AM
Thank you both for the response. Yeah prolly not the best idea iv had. Worse part is it's not my worse idea either lol.
© Pond Boss Forum