Pond Boss
Posted By: Snipe Tilapia effect on fishery - 07/31/19 01:03 AM
I'm curious about a couple of things I've found on how Tilapia may affect sport fish in a small pond.
I've found some material that suggests Tilapia will clean house on all fry they come across including some of their own.
If Tilapia are being used as algae control tools more than food production, I'd like to hear some educated opinions here on what the potential effects can be.
I'm wondering if I made a mistake in stocking these.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Tilapia effect on fishery - 07/31/19 02:11 AM
I think tilapia are primarily vegetarians. As long as filamentous algae and narrow leaf delicate submerged plants are present / common fish fry would be a small or very small percent of tilapia daily diet. Tilapia will also eat fish pellets so this will also reduce predation of fry by tilapia. Most sport fish ponds have sunfish and LMB as the main species. These fish species usually provide parental care of their fry until the fry are pretty good swimmers and more likely to avoid predation from tilapia who are not known as aggressive swimmers - predators. IMO the feeding habits of tilapia would be classified or described as grazers that are not adapted to catching small fish.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Tilapia effect on fishery - 07/31/19 03:31 AM
That's interesting.
That's also another part I'm having a hard time with.. Tilapia do best with no pellet feed. I find they are showing up and taking a big part of my supplemental feeding which leads me to believe they will not work nearly as hard on the veggies.
I'm struggling with this I guess. I know I'm sure tired of removing boat loads of FA only to see it shooting back up in 3-4 days, the nutrient load must be outrageous and as for summer run-off, I've had near zero so far.
Maybe I didn't stock enough??
Posted By: anthropic Re: Tilapia effect on fishery - 07/31/19 05:43 AM
If there is little else for them, TP will eat small fish. Sadly, I proved that, as they chowed down on the FHM in my BOW before the LMB were stocked.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Tilapia effect on fishery - 07/31/19 10:25 AM
My Tp became feeder hogs the first year I stocked them. They also produced a lot of Tp that year. My lmb numbers were low and not able to control the numbers. So, from my experience I would not add Tp until my lmb numbers were up. Unless you like to catch and eat Tp. Tp can produce a lot of Tp. I know that for sure. I have seen it. And now that I have lmb and hsb I am not sure I have enough Tp lol.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Tilapia effect on fishery - 07/31/19 03:39 PM
Tracy it’s hard to dump a grand or two to control the FA per year. To get control of FA 20# per acre of tilapia probably would do it. I put in just ten pounds this year and haven’t seen them since their first spawn several weeks after they were released..... they are to conservative to compete with my CNBG for pellets
Posted By: Snipe Re: Tilapia effect on fishery - 07/31/19 05:40 PM
Wow, Pat.. My Tilapia take over at feed time and are aggressive takers. I see a few BG, YP and a few SMB but Tilapia have slowly taken over the bulk of feed consumed.
Slowing down daily amounts and see if they pick up natural feeding.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Tilapia effect on fishery - 07/31/19 07:02 PM
Just for figurative purposes, I'm at about 12% coverage of FA with sago pondweed as my main veggie and has FA growing on it. If I had no FA, I'd say I have 7-8% sago.
I hate to slow feed rates down. I spent a lot of time feed training YP this year and now my YOY SMB are tearing up the Jr.. Hate to kill that off.
© Pond Boss Forum