Pond Boss
Posted By: nvcdl Blue/Green "Chunks" floating in pond - 07/16/19 11:49 PM
Today I was out on my boat and noticed several "chunks" of blue/green algae floating just below surface of pond. They would break up if touched but were kinda odd. They looked like the stuff flourists used to use to arrange floral displays in vases.

First time I've observed these - saw a number of them in various areas of pond. Anyone know what these are?
Posted By: Vortex 4 Re: Blue/Green "Chunks" floating in pond - 07/17/19 01:18 AM
I think these are chunks of filamentous algae (FA). Slimy glob.

It decays and floats off the bottom substrate. As long as it is in moderation it shouldn't cause any problem although it is unsightly.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Blue/Green "Chunks" floating in pond - 07/17/19 04:59 AM
Periphyton...I get "blobs" of it too in late Summer. Lusk told me nothing to worry about...so I didn't and don't. Still, weird to see.
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Blue/Green "Chunks" floating in pond - 07/17/19 01:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Vortex 4
I think these are chunks of filamentous algae (FA). Slimy glob.

It decays and floats off the bottom substrate. As long as it is in moderation it shouldn't cause any problem although it is unsightly.

I have what I think is FA in a couple spots - this looks different.
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Blue/Green "Chunks" floating in pond - 07/17/19 01:37 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Periphyton...I get "blobs" of it too in late Summer. Lusk told me nothing to worry about...so I didn't and don't. Still, weird to see.

This appears to be the stuff...
Posted By: blavis Re: Blue/Green "Chunks" floating in pond - 07/17/19 09:59 PM
Does it look like this? I was getting ready to start a thread with these pics and video...

I have a pond that is about a year old and this is the first break in four months of the rain. So I am assuming things are starting to develop.

It was only in the north side of the pond with the south wind blowing it there.

https://youtu.be/0uzcBXYs_w0

Posted By: Vortex 4 Re: Blue/Green "Chunks" floating in pond - 07/17/19 10:22 PM
Periphyton is just stuff that grows on a surface, not a specific organism. In my pond it usually starts as FA then other stuff collonizes on it. I bet it'd look really cool under a microscope.
I have lost 8 head of cattle in the last month vet said it’s due to blue green algae. I treated my ponds with copper sulfate. How often should I treat the ponds. To keep this from killing my whole herd.
Posted By: RAH Re: Blue/Green "Chunks" floating in pond - 07/22/19 02:59 PM
Do you have the resources to fence off the pond and supply water with a nose pump or another alternative? The manure in the pond will be fighting your efforts to control algal blooms.
© Pond Boss Forum