Pond Boss
In the "From The Editor's Desk" section of the July/August PBMag, Bob talks about the possibility/likelihood of bringing some changes to the magazine, and asks for comments on what we would like to see in it. I thought I'd put mine here and collect some more from y'all.'

1. Some Mags I subscribe to have regular writers who I think are hacks. I really can't stand what or how they write. I am happy to state that I don't feel this way about any of the current regular writers in PBMag.

2. I would never have asked to see columns on wildlife management or birdwatching in a Pond Management magazine, but I consistently enjoy reading Dan Van Schaik and Birdman Mel's columns and find them good accompaniment to pond information in a general outdoors manner.

3. Changes: Personally, I would like to see more articles NOT about LMB and BG - those have kind of been done enough. I would be interested in detailed information on other species being given more often in the future. For example, I never plan to stock Tiger Muskies, but I think an encompassing article on their use in sport ponds would be very interesting.

What do all of you want to see in PBMag?
Simple things can be added like...

1.) A pond comic.
2.) Pond photo of the month submissions/winners.
3.) DIY ideas/instructions.
4.) Swimsuit issue (I just had to throw that in).
5.) Fail photos/lessons learned can be humorous (so long as they're not mine).
6.) Mo Conservation Mag does a "What is this" photo. A close up of something pond related, eg. a frogs ear only. Rather difficult to figure out until you see the full photo...on page 7.

None of these are deal breakers, but might be easy to implement. So long as they do not replace the normal content.
I have only read 2 issues so if it has been done forgive me. More pics of pond docks and fun things around the pond ( DIY STYLE ). Some seem like they have an endless budget but I don't think that is the norm. The swimsuit issue sounds good but sorry prolly 97% dudes on here. Hope I don't offend anyone but that's not my style. I don't want to see what some of ya our offering LOL.
Maybe a section on Pond Tech, with reviews of a product from several manufacturers. Kind of like what is done with hunting gear and gadgets. So maybe DO meters or thermometers or water test kits? Maybe under water video cameras? Fish feeders? I'd stay clear of fishing gear (since this is addressed in many other fishing specific mags). Maybe some head to head comparison type stuff.
." Changes: Personally, I would like to see more articles NOT about LMB and BG - those have kind of been done enough. I would be interested in detailed information on other species being given more often in the future. For example, I never plan to stock Tiger Muskies, but I think an encompassing article on their use in sport ponds would be very interesting."

I too, would like to see more on the subject of other species such as YP, WAE, etc...
I also think one must be careful of how far outside the box one gets from the private sector of fisheries management. I realize customer base can grow but as Lusk also states-you can loose customer base if they loose interest.
I'm personally attracted to items such as DIY structure ideas, SMB spawning structures like TJ has. Growth rates or expected growth rates-NOT WR-of many species. How growing seasons affect different species, etc.
Not my ball but I'd hate to see this turn into a "how to place your deer feeder" FAQ.
I like the idea of addressing product ratings from vendors listed in the PB resource guide-I have one I'm not happy with and people need to know why.
My 2 cents..
Northern pond segment would be helpful as we have few additional cool water species [YP/WE/TM] unique to our fisheries.

Alt forage base options for fisheries dependent on goals.
Originally Posted By: RStringer
The swimsuit issue sounds good but sorry prolly 97% dudes on here.

Make it a random selection, so 97% of the time the picture is a dude from here in a swimsuit. :P

Well, that might not be good for subscription renewals.
Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
[quote=RStringer] so 97% of the time the picture is a dude from here in a swimsuit. :P

That's not really what I had in mind, but it would really put a face to a login in name, wouldn't it? YOU FIRST THEO!
More cowbell?

If not, then we may need to get more vested in the magazine. Bob writes most of the articles, and I'm not sure he's got the time to expand that much. If there is something that you're doing that's of interest, or unique, then write an article. Bob will clean it up, and take care of the grammar, etc. I think Sprkplug did one several years ago, and it was a good one.

Despite TX being the epicenter of the PB world, I'm in on more northern fish also.

Visits to advertisers so we can find out why we would even be interested in their products. A day in the life of...

I'm always interested in homestead stuff also.

I pretty well enjoy it the way it is. I really like the wildlife and bird stuff.

Maybe more how to do it type stuff.
I love the magazine! The kids portion is entertaining and gives ideas on how to keep kids involved and learning ( I learn stuff there too!)
A lot of the technical stuff is over my head, so I wouldn't want to see any more articles that make me use a dictionary.
Yes on articles on different species! Different main predators, different forage, different bonus fish.
Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
[quote=RStringer] so 97% of the time the picture is a dude from here in a swimsuit. :P

That's not really what I had in mind, but it would really put a face to login in name, wouldn't it? YOU FIRST THEO!

SUNIL! Bring on King Ding-a-Ling.
More on ponds less than 5 acres, less on larger bodies of water.

More articles on building, rebuilding or fixing smaller ponds.
I'd like to see some Whodunnit articles for info & fun. Such as describing a real situation, then asking readers for their proposed solution out of say, four or five possibilities. Then explain what the best choice would be, and why.

The questions & answers could vary from quite basic -- Why is clay so important to building a dam? -- to advanced, so most readers could get some right and have to learn others. Bob has done something similar to this in the past, I'd like it to be a more regular feature.

I also enjoy the articles on birds and pond insects. Dragonflies are awesome for beauty & mosquito diet, would love to learn more about them.
Maybe a section on our/my screw ups at the pond. I am sure there are some out here that will never admit to their screw ups, but I bet most of us have done something that did not work out so well at the pond. Heck, I can think of several things I have done that did not work out so well and would not repeat it if given the chance. I bet I could think of a half dozen of things I have done that did not go so well or as planned or did not work at all or wound up costing more money than it should have cost. I see things here on this Forum today or the past month that I see some are doing that I would not do and think it may wind up being a screw up before it's all said and done. Maybe not but I'm betting smile

I can see a comic strip (as mentioned above) that might work as we all describe our screw ups smile
Since we are all just outside playing. Maybe not call them fails but how bout ( 1st try ) pictures. I'm a picture freak. I like to see progression pictures. AS in before, during and after. Love seeing the beautiful docks people have built. Things I would do different ideas.
I would like to see past articles revisited. For those of us that just started getting the magazine.
The DYI contest for a project you done on your pond, dock, fish cage structure ideas!!, lighting. What ever that can make our ponds better. I have farming magazines that have this in it and it is the first thing I look for. Give a mug or hat if you get your idea in the mag.
How I screwed up and how to fix the problem would be great.
Would love to see a monthly article on toys for the lake, slides, swings, floating play stations any thing that would make the pond fun for kids. When the fish are not biting.
Great stuff, guys!
As you bring the ideas, help figure out how to fulfill them as well. People love real world stories from our readers. If you have a story idea, email me and share your idea. Odds are, I'll take it. Like Allen says, I'll clean it up. You just need to tell the story.

I'm collecting ideas from everyone willing to share them, and if I can figure out how to fulfill those ideas, we'll sure use the best ones.

The product reviews get a little dicey for me. That's why we spend a fair amount of time vetting advertisers before bringing them in. Believe it or not, we've not allowed several, primarily due to a conflict of philosophy or struggling to understand their products and how they fit with Pond Boss. The dicey part is how to not become a prostitute for products and keep an unbiased journalistic approach to the articles.

Keep those ideas coming...LeighAnn and I are watching.
I think it would be interesting to have a regular contribution from PB subscribers showing their pond and experiences in managing or constructing. It is very interesting to me to see how wildly budgets, creativity, and effort vary in pondmiestering. I enjoy seeing the big spreads, but it is nice to see the simple and low maintenance ponds. Does a decent pond have to consume huge amounts of your financial or time resources?
To expand on roundy’s thoughts, it would be interesting to follow a few ponds long term. Pick a half dozen or so ponds about to be constructed or renovated and provide ongoing in-depth articles over a several year period. Updates can be once or twice a year. I would pick a range of pond sizes and locations.

Another idea would be to have a couple pages with Forum Posts of the Month. There are some great discussions that many people may be missing because they fall off the Recent Posts sidebar. The could be copied directly from the forum or edited/summarized for the magazine.

FireIsHot in a Speedo?
I think it would cool to have a fairly regular feature about what to look for in a pond property. It is so much easier to find good property to build a house than build a pond! In our case, even when we had the finances, it took six years of searching. Wrong topography, wrong soil, wrong neighborhood, not enough watershed, too much watershed, too visible & accessible from a public road, noise from a nearby interstate (we didn't notice at first because it was a windy day), you name it.
I’ll throw this out there knowing I may offend some. I apologize in advance. I subscribed for three or four years, but let my subscription lapse. I just wasn’t getting that much out of the magazine. Part of that is my schedule. I wasn’t taking the time to dig into articles that may have been on topics I was interested in. My overall impression was it seemed like a scientific journal. Lots of articles were filled with charts, and statistics that I’m sure a pond management professional ate right up. (And those pond management professionals are what make this forum so informative!) I just wasn’t finding a lot of articles that I enjoyed reading. I eventually came to the conclusion that I really wasn’t in the target audience. I get more information directly from this forum on specific issues I’m most concerned about or interested in. So I donate here.
Mudhole made a good suggestion I think. How about a section in the Mag titled FROM THE POND BOSS FORUM. And then BOB can put in his comments/thoughts. Or FROM the Wednesday PB Facebook videos where he might tell/describe the topic of the Wed show. And I still like the idea where we tell of our pond mistakes so that others might learn from attempts to improve/manage things related to ponds.
Originally Posted By: Zep

FireIsHot in a Speedo?

We don't call him 'Dreamboat Annie' for nothing!!!
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Mudhole made a good suggestion I think. How about a section in the Mag titled FROM THE POND BOSS FORUM. And then BOB can put in his comments/thoughts. Or FROM the Wednesday PB Facebook videos where he might tell/describe the topic of the Wed show. And I still like the idea where we tell of our pond mistakes so that others might learn from attempts to improve/manage things related to ponds.

^^^^^This^^^^^
Bathing suit issue? *shudder!*
Recently I haven't had much time to read magazines other than on the can. The 13yo kiddo is taking up my time along with building a garden pond.

I don't think it would hurt to have a "micro pond" section covering construction techniques, care, product reviews, wintering, aquariums, and so on. Granted it is a fairly crowded market, but it wouldn't alienate that whole group either. A lot of the same applies to the little ponds like aging, fish care, and dealing with muck. How it is handled is a bit different.

Like in my case, being up to my nose and armpits in muck cleaning rocks out of the bottom of a lined pond, and siphoning the crud out. Stir it up like a giant milkshake and a siphon does an admirable job of pulling that crud out. Just look out for those stinging and biting water bugs. No loose swim shorts allowed.
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Originally Posted By: Zep

FireIsHot in a Speedo?

We don't call him 'Dreamboat Annie' for nothing!!!

Sunil, you and Mark must be bored. I shudder to think it might be for any other reason.
Pond Boss World Tour IV, or is it VI? Visiting a few subscribers diggs and doing stories on their places as you did a new years ago would make for some interesting articles. As you did with us a few years ago. You don't even need to write about us, but we would put you up for a night or two. After all, you don't get enough travel do you.
Originally Posted By: Bing
Pond Boss World Tour IV, or is it VI? Visiting a few subscribers diggs and doing stories on their places as you did a new years ago would make for some interesting articles. As you did with us a few years ago. You don't even need to write about us, but we would put you up for a night or two. After all, you don't get enough travel do you.

I love this idea - many years ago I invited Bob to turkey hunt at my ranch and stay in our B&B in exchange for him analyzing my pond. He wrote an awesome article about it all and I was lucky to be on the cover.

Obviously Bob cannot travel all over doing articles but regular folks contributing articles about how they managed and built their ponds is very interesting. I think of some of the hunting magazines (Texas trophy Hunter) and half their articles are regular folks contributing articles of how they hunted a deer, etc.
Bob task me with writing a science based column. Most science based studies are University/Gov based and not necessarily small water oriented. So I search for info that may be applicable to us PB people. I try to avoid statistics and unknown terminology and put them in common terms if possible.

I try to cross sell the Mag. and Forum (tie them together). To search for the best material I need to know what to look for - that involves you telling me what you want/like. Let's hear your ideas on how to approach the science within your pond.
Originally Posted By: ewest
Let's hear your ideas on how to approach the science within your pond.

I have just started water testing and could use something beyond what parameters to test for...more along the lines of what the results mean and how to interpret.

I can see this being multiple articles starting with some "kick-starts", then add more depth, and bring it home with some of that deep stuff you so often produce.

I don't think my patience can go a whole year...so you could just do one big article, maybe a whole issue to itself. lol

Thanks for your participation regardless!
Noted - the mag has articles on water quality by the best man in the business - Dr. Claude Boyd - he literally wrote the book on the subject. I will keep an eye open for water quality and fish interaction info as well.
there are lots of articles are in past PB issues on water testing parameters and what they mean. Every issue since May-Jun 2015 has had a water chemically oriented article by Dr.Boyd. He discusses well each topic. See these links below to prior PB issue topics for the last couple years. You will have to scan each issue for the water chemical topic. What other pond water testing - chemical info are desired or wanted??
Quote by QuarterAcre: ""more along the lines of what the results mean and how to interpret.""

As I review these artices for the mag contents I think I recall "what the results mean" are noted, although I do fairly well understand water chemistry; others may need simpler less technical info??. Dr.Boyd and or Lusk as editor could make sure this type of spin is in each article??. When one fully understands the topic simple is not always simple to everyone! Example - reading musical notes or composition.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=500193#Post500193
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=484882#Post484882
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=461090#Post461090
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=432751#Post432751

The wildlife articles could definitely go. Most are for you southern guys. What's a quail? lol I want to read about ponds not deer, and quail. You can skip the recipe articles too. 97% of your audience is male. Most of us never cook.

Need some more articles on pond forage for Northern waters. Gizzard shad don't work, threadfin,, too cold. GS have a parasite, so what's left? Would TFS be perfect for us? They populate like crazy then would be gone in the winter. Delve into, and encourage northern guys to raise other types of bait fish in their forage ponds. Heck, you could even have two separate issues. This should be a featured article every issue. Northern and Southern version. And no, most of us in the north do not have trout in our ponds. We are flatlanders and the climate is too warm.

Some articles, like water chemistry are dry and boring. Stop it! You read it Bob, and then interpret if for us lower IQ guys.

"I renovated my old pond" article every month. I bet there are thousands of old ponds out there that need to be fixed up. Every month an article on someone that renovated one. Include how much it cost too. That way the rest of us can get an idea on what we are in for.

More DIY articles for guys that don't have million dollar ranches in Texas. Example, I made my own structure. I made my own aeration system, I made my own muck rake, I made my own dock, I made my own electro fishing boat. Stay away from Field and Stream disease. This is where they write about their $30k hunts in Africa. A lot of your audience is poor country boys.

Should we be restocking older smaller ponds to increase genetic diversity? How? Self managing an older pond article every issue.
This isn't really for the mag but for the forum. Can we get a map of (those who are willing) the people on the forum? I like to use google maps and check out other peoples ponds, lakes. I'm not afraid to put my address in there.
I would like to learn more about specific non-fish residents of our ponds. Although many readers are big-bass oriented, many of us really enjoy a wide diversity of wildlife in, above and around our ponds.

Invertebrates (insects, molluscs, crustaceans etc), amphibians frogs-to-newts, reptiles and birds come to mind. Also articles on specific plants such as pickerelweed, cattail, etc.

Identification, role in the ecosystem, habitat, benefits, risks, controls etc.
Keep the recipes. Maybe it's just a Southern thing, but I think a lot of men here enjoy cooking and/or grilling fish. grin

Also, I agree with Vortex. Pond life includes far beyond fish, I like to learn more.

A section could be added on Gadgets & Thingamabobs submitted by readers - maybe publish two submissions per magazine! This would bring in ideas from the entire readership and would be great way to learn some neat ideas.

There are things like boat ramps, Secchi dish depth sticks, feeder shelves, siphon screens, turtle trap retriever poles, portable water falls, beaver tree protectors, rod hangers for SUV’s, poacher security cameras,etc.etc.———no telling what these pond guys have created.

Maybe an annual contest?

Now, I truly enjoy Pond Boss Magazine as is! New ideas will keep it strong and keep Pondology thriving!
I like the Wildlife and bird stuff. Most of us are rural and have wildlife along with fish.
Hey BOB you can bring a camera crew to my house. We can call it the cheapskate (DIY) pond rehab. As soon as this rain stops we can start filming.
Sure, I'll be there in the morning.
Just outside of parsons ks south side cant miss it lol. You good with bacon eggs n toast?
Eat bacon while you can, African swine flu is sweeping the world. China has even established (no joke) a Strategic Pork Reserve!
I love a good steak n egg bagel also. Yum yum
Well I ate your breakfast. I figured you didnt show up because of all this rain. Maybe next time. It could be a cool story. Called "MID-LIFE CRISIS"

Attached picture Screenshot_20190817-093811_Gallery.jpg
Dang it! Made a wrong turn...ended up in New Mexico.
Well Mr. Lusk I guess its the thought that counts right. I'v been stood up by better looking LOL. There is always more days ahead (I hope). That is a standing offer whenever.
Also Mr. Lusk I do want to thank you. This forum has a vast array of knowledge in its members from the top dogs to us new guys playing in the mud. It has been very helpful of helping me turn a thought in my head to a nice place for my family.
How about a pond calendar? It could be a contest to see whos pond makes the cut. I would bye one. It would be a honor someday for my BOW to make it on a calendar. Im not to the point yet on being ready but someday it will be there.
Originally Posted By: RStringer
How about a pond calendar?

I like this idea. I'd buy one. Would be much nice to look at than the silly Dilbert calendar that I have in my office now.
May have been suggested already, but would be great to have an index for all magazines and topics covered. Maybe each year in the Resource Guide. That way we know where to go back and find certain articles in previous magazines.
How about a featured pond each magazine. Could include pictures of the individual’s pond, interview Q&A style about steps they have taken to improve or overcome obstacles. I hear about everyone’s ponds on the forum, but it would be great to see pictures and get the back story one at a time. The pictures could be taken by the pond owner to keep the cost down of sending a photographer. They could include pictures of their aeration setup, feeder location, any structure they are working on, etc. that they feel could be of benefit to others.
Yes a face with the story would be nice. I remember some of the frequent posters but would have no idea what they look like. It makes it more personal. I try in post alot of pictures cause most of us men as we know are visual people. Always curious and want to look.

My wife says I have an addiction just looking at it. I'm always thinking I could do this or that. Most of it dont ever come to life but the wheels are turning.
A lot has been said here, so I will just add a little from the north and say small ponds, northern ponds and northern fish would be nice to read about in building, stocking and problems along the way in which suggestions might be passed on to all of us. I have only been in the pond stuff for five years, but have learned so much in that time! Much right here on the forum, and really some of that needs to be out there in print! Last show Bob talked about how hot it was there and her in Michigan we are looking at mid 40's, followed by 80's in the day, soon to drop more. For people just getting into this fun time of a pond, there are so many question and this magazine is a great source and can be even better with more input from the group on this massive forum! i am thankful for all of those voices out there!
Originally Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre
How about a featured pond each magazine. Could include pictures of the individual’s pond, interview Q&A style about steps they have taken to improve or overcome obstacles. I hear about everyone’s ponds on the forum, but it would be great to see pictures and get the back story one at a time. The pictures could be taken by the pond owner to keep the cost down of sending a photographer. They could include pictures of their aeration setup, feeder location, any structure they are working on, etc. that they feel could be of benefit to others.

Great idea!
Originally Posted By: ewest
Bob task me with writing a science based column. Most science based studies are University/Gov based and not necessarily small water oriented. So I search for info that may be applicable to us PB people. I try to avoid statistics and unknown terminology and put them in common terms if possible.

I try to cross sell the Mag. and Forum (tie them together). To search for the best material I need to know what to look for - that involves you telling me what you want/like. Let's hear your ideas on how to approach the science within your pond.

I enjoy your articles in the PB Magazine, Do you have anything on lmb/RBT when it comes to using the trout as forage for the lmb? Things like water conditions/temp etc as to when to add them. And things like how many per acre/ size of RBT to use when it comes to forage size and do I need to remove 50 lbs of fish before I add 50 lbs of trout? Is it really worth the time and money? Will we see much benefit? Any thing else? Thanking u ahead of it all.
Quote:
May have been suggested already, but would be great to have an index for all magazines and topics covered. Maybe each year in the Resource Guide. That way we know where to go back and find certain articles in previous magazines.

This has been done plus more. There is a Table of Contents and Index for each Pond Boss issue by year in the Common Pond Q&A Archives Section.
Peruse the list of topics for each year's information.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=22&page=1
I also like the idea of featuring a pond and owner in each issue. History of the pond and pictures of their fishery, and some of their pond related features.

Do more interviews of pond experts and some active Forum members. In the interview ask for pros, cons, suggestions and their helpful ideas of what works well for them. Maybe occasionally interview and feature a worth-while qualified, experienced, learned advertizer. Some of them are knowledgeable, management wise and not just sellers.

Need more how-to-do it techniques of pond management as a photo series and descriptions.

In each issue turn one of the magazines 'Ask The Boss' questions into a 1-2 page article with pictures.
Maybe a DIY project in each magazine?
I really enjoy the tangent articles like the recipe article every issue, the article on using big bait to catch big bass, etc. IMO there are lots of ways to take this. Examples, fishing with bobbers and figuring out how deep to set the depth, selecting the right hook size, selecting the right line and the best knot, what to do when a fish is gut hooked, selecting the best pole and reel for the target fish and angler skill level, etc.
How about Bob tell us what he thinks of our ideas. Maybe his input will get gears turning. Some of the best ideas didnt come from one person ita from group discussions.
Disclaimer: I do not subscribe. My suggestion is a section for those focused on restoration of wildlife habitat. Water bodies are a centerpiece for wildlife habitat, be they ponds or wetlands.
Food for thought: I really appreciate how Mr. Lusk keeps the focus on ponds. I’m sure it would be much more profitable to have a wide ranging magazine that had more appeal to regular outdoorsmen.

In that vein, individual pond write ups would be most appreciated. Time consuming for the editor but oh so interesting.
Okay, Team Pond Boss forum, I've read and re-read all these comments. Part of our improvement of Pond Boss magazine is how it looks and is laid out.
But, I also think we need to freshen some of the content.

Here's where I need your help. One overwhelming suggestion is to document small pond DIY stuff. I need input, ideas and photos. Do that now.

I like Al Allison's idea about Gadgets and Thingamabobs. Need input from all of you with your gadgets and thingamabobs. I travel quite a bit, but not many people get as creative as Al does. Send me some stuff!

Another suggestion that makes good sense is to write about what NOT to do. Again, I need your input. Send ideas, mistakes, etc to me...with photos.

Also, I've found a reasonably-price cartoonist who's sent a few good cartoons that fit us. Look for one in the Jan-Feb issue.

I'm also thinking about product reviews. I'm a bit skittish about that. Which aeration company do I choose? Which product of theirs? You can't imagine the pushback from the companies that don't get chosen. Same with feeders and a number of other products. Not too interested in that topic.

Here's your chance to put some of your best ideas to work. Send your specific ideas, along with an explanation or a story, with photos, to boblusk@outlook.com. I'm happy to edit your story or take your idea and run with it as long as there's a reliable source for the information beyond the idea.

Let's do this! Send stuff now. I'm working on the Jan-Feb issue.
Don't' do - never underestimate the power and danger of a siphon or spillway.

Attached picture 46gIMG_0402.jpg
Bob Lusk's comment - "thinking about product reviews. I'm a bit skittish about that. Which aeration company do I choose? Which product of theirs? You can't imagine the pushback from the companies that don't get chosen. Same with feeders and a number of other products."

Instead of PB choosing a product or company why not, if they are a paid advertiser, have a lottery for each issue and the winner gets to write up a one or two page article that deals with their chosen products. Article should contain testimony and pictures of a pond / owner that is actually using the product. The lottery is a way of an unbiased choice of who gets to create / submit the advertiser article for the issue. If the advertizer does not submit their article on time then a back-up advertiser article is used and the looser loses their chance of having a feature article. The PB editor could have these articles lined up at the beginning of each year and just insert it for each issue.

If PB accepts them as an advertiser the products should be worthy of a short article all about using their product/s. To make it even more interesting the next PB issue could publish feedback from PB members about the previous advertisers featured product. If I buy something that does not do as claimed in my pond, other PB members would want to know.

Also I think the editor or a staff member could go out and do a feature story each issue about a magazine subscriber's pond. Or subscribers could send in a short story about their pond with several pictures. Instead of pond stories the editor could do phone interviews similar to what editor McDonald used to do including pictures with interesting pond related people or topics such as fish hatchery or professional fishery workers. Readers should find it interesting to read about an interview with Anderson's or Malone's Fish Farm. What about who raises the unusual species such as paddle fish, blue catfish. pumpkinseed sunfish, invertebrates or pond plants?. Why is one farm's fish better or unique compared to the others? What is their pride and joy? This might also generate additional advertising for the magazine. Not many fish farms are advertised in the magazine. Ads are mostly for products and services.
I'm in 100% with what Bill C said. I met the biologist at Stony Creek, a small fish farm but major online and catalog outlet for buying all things relating to pond life. They do a huge business every year.

I spent 45 min at the fish farm in small town USA talking to a biologist who had a life's worth of experience (and opinions) and just wanted to share with anyone who shared his passion.

over his career he has seen many changes, has been in many aspects of the industry, and has good advice for young folks interested in this area. He would be a great person to interview and base a series of articles on.

I agree with Bill that ALL advertisers who are willing to pay to have their name on the web ads or the paper ads should be willing to do a product presentation write up including testimonials from customers and then be open to followup articles giving real life feedback from actual users.
Bob,
I would be glad to show the three solar-electric systems I promised Bill and the others. I could show the parts and prices vs what to expect for output. Some will be very disappointed, but others could learn a lot.

What I do with my solar power is different than what most would do, but the power production would be usable for any application.

I believe a lot of people here have a misunderstand about solar and wind power production, the cost of the needed parts, and the regulations that keep us safe. So I would be willing to show what works for me.
I think a tried and true practical application article about solar aeration is an excellent idea! All thumbs are up for this one. IMO the magazine is definitely remiss if it does not publish an article on this topic.
Solar is a good idea. Even a small amount of solar will run a pump. Every little bit helps the whole picture.
Brian,
Let's talk, I'm in. Enquiring minds want to know...

By the way, the next issue of Pond Boss will the best ever, by far.

If you don't subscribe, do it now.

$35 a year is cheaper than a Friday night date with your better half, and lasts a year. Plus, look at all the learnin' you get.

click here: https://www.pondboss.com/subscribe
I think based on the amount of information needed to get a basic education about solar aeration there should be at LEAST two articles. I am interested in solar aeration with and without using storage batteries. Needed is simple basic information. The only thing I know about solar aeration is that sunshine makes it work. I'm pretty dumb about electronics of solar.
Hey Bob can you put lots of pictures of Brian's set up. Playboy had it figured out long ago pictures are worth 1000 words.
I'll talk with Brian. He'll need to provide photos. As you probably know, we're limited on space, but we can use some really good photos that enhance the story.

Brian is a really good writer with a technical/intellectual approach to his projects. We've published him before.
Limited on space? Weak argument. If the article is in demand why not give him the space of 1 1/2 or two articles? Why does a good article have to be just 1.5 pages? Article could be mostly all pictures with captions.
Is it possible to have 2 versions, with the hard copy version shorter, and an online version that is longer? Take my comment with a grain of salt since I do not subscribe.
I'm with bill (I wont say weak). I have to be honest some of that stuff in the magazine is over my head with all the numbers. I just want my pond to look like it should be on a golf course. Not trump's golf course (sorry had to). I'm mostly bout the looks. Now dont get me wrong not much more I love than a kid catching a fish. They get pure joy out anything and any size. I do subscribe mainly just because I feel like I should because the love of this forum.
A mostly picture article gives the magazine content some format diversity. Each issue normally has 13-16 articles. An occasional longer article just reduces the total number of articles by one and the same total number of pages is retained. The editor thinks more than 2000 words causes the average reader to get bored and lose interest in the topic.
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
...The editor thinks more than 2000 words causes the average reader to get bored and lose interest in the topic.

I have been an avid reader my entire life and still read 4 or 5 novels a month (more than 2000 words each). IMHO if the reader loses interest after 2000 words then either the topic is lacking sufficient content that is of interest to the reader or the author has failed to make the subject interesting. These are not problems I've found with PBM articles.

I think Brian's experience with solar would be a great series of articles but I also think there are other members that could chip in with their experience to really make the series outstanding! Maybe send a shout out to members for inputs?

Good time to suggest another series? Snipe has extensive knowledge about WE; from propagating newbies to stocking to harvesting to....I would really enjoy learning and reading about his experiences.

Wouldn't it be a nice addition to PBM to add a section titled something like "Readers choice" in each issue dedicated to topics the readers request?
Love ya, Bill Cody. When you start paying the print bill, I'll take your 'weak' comment. We are limited to 64 pages, period. That's the number. Happy to add more photos. What do we delete to add more pictures or words? I'd rather a long story be broken into a series to do it justice. There are 18-21 different pieces in each magazine. That's due, in part, to my philosophy of about 60-65% content and the rest advertising. Most magazines, by necessity, are 55-45 just to cover the financial nut. Not that many years ago, we had 12-15 different pieces in each magazine.

The online version is the same as the printed version. I'm personally not interested in investing more time than I already do to write longer articles, pay the layout guy, and pay the company that hosts the online version just so we can have more photos and more words. The cost doesn't justify the effort with no financial return. That's how it works. And, I'm not interested in more effort to post on the Pond Boss website so people can read it for free. That's the business side.

We truly appreciate those of you who subscribe and frankly, I don't understand why the rest don't. Subscriptions and advertising in the magazine, with a few donations, is where the money comes from to cover the cost of this "free" forum.

I've always appreciated everyone's input, especially guys like Bill Cody, Highflyer, Sunil, and all of you other guys that make this forum a family. The volume of information and the welcoming attitude of everyone here is what makes this thing fly. I appreciate all of your "free" donation of time to do what you do to make this forum as successful as it is. It can be a big time sink. And guys like Bill Cody, teejaeh, esshup, Dave Davidson, and lots of others are living proof of that.

Thanks, all of you. Working to provide a better magazine.
I'm late here but believe anything from Highflyer on solar would be very good reading-possibly the best understanding of an entire system that I have ever seen. I really enjoy speaking with him knowing we both have backgrounds in the same industry to pay the bills and both have similar interests beyond that. His knowledge of solar would be a very highly received chunk of info in my mind. Can't help but think that would be a good move to include whatever he has to share.
My 2 kw..
Appreciate all the great info & advice, Bob! Your attitude toward constant feedback & openness to positive change is refreshing.

Hope to make the April Higher Pondology conference, if my foot issues clear up a bit. Gout ain't fun!
I've heard that an excellent article about hatchery spawning of walleye will be in an upcoming issue of PBoss magazine. Get your subscription for Christmas.

Bob Lusk - Thanks for explaining the editor's position of running a low profit magazine. I have no answers for getting more subscribers as this topic has been "floated" numerous times to minimal success. There are lots of ponds across the country but few owners are willing to be concerned enough to spend $35.00 a year learning about good pond management. Evidently a fact of 'pondlife'.

My uneducated answer to: "What do we delete to add more pictures or words?" My thinking about how to add more pictures to a story is delete one of the other short stories in the issue and run the deleted short one next issue. I've heard the editor is always looking for articles for next issue - LOL.

Bill C., I remembered to renew my membership so I wouldn't miss that walleye article, looking forward to the reading.
Just a suggestion, but I've been at Brian's watching him build his toys for years. So, as a guy that's seen and tried to digest all the info I could, I would like to see a solar article split into 2 regular sized articles, with 1 article on 2 consecutive issues.

The first issue could be a short explanation of what the system's capable of, and the the main body could be about solar panels. Panel type, sweet spots for panel wattage, seasonal angle changes, hooking up multiple panels, etc. All the way to the system plug.

The second article could be about the inverter, controller, wiring sequence, batteries, power requirements, optional controllers, etc.

Way too much technical stuff to digest all at once. Or at least it would be for me.
FirelsHot - Excellent suggestion for topics of two solar aeration articles. You know enough about a system to suggest important topics for explanation. Articles like this would educate readers as to what is involved in a solar aerator so wise homework decisions can be made for buying or understanding components of a system. Eagerly looking forward to reading the articles. Educational articles like this could increase subscriptions to the magazine. IMO we need more articles with this format. How to do it type of things.
I will double down on what FireisHot said. I think there is a LOT of room to run with a solar series of articles. I think "on demand" aeration via solar could be it's own article or two. Then there could be a series on solar with batteries from there. When you start talking about "The second article could be about the inverter, controller, wiring sequence, batteries, power requirements, optional controllers, etc." I am still digesting after a few years of doing it! I also think the article has got to explain things where even a caveman like me can understand it all.
Brian(highfyer) has been kind enough to invite me to his place on several occasions and I have seen his solar setup. He walked me around it all and told me about what he has done and what he is going to do with it. All of it was over my head. I'm am just lost for the most part. So, I have to agree with wbuffetjr and request a series of articles. I did learn that if you want to aerate with something like surface aeration or pond circulation 24/7 there is a lot to it all when using a solar setup with battery storage. Solar/battery system for dummies might be a good article all of it's own. The power cold then be used for whatever around the pond. Pier lights, underwater lights, surface aeration, just to mention a few.
I have been thinking about having Walleye in my pond for a few years. This year I put them in. So the articles about walleye are going to be right up my alley. Thanks.
We've actually got two walleye articles in the Jan-Feb issue of PB.

I'll be in touch with Brian to get to work on a series of articles about solar.
Originally Posted By: Snipe
Bill C., I remembered to renew my membership so I wouldn't miss that walleye article, looking forward to the reading.

Me too. I just remembered (thanks to a reminder I got in the mail smile ) to renew my subscription for another 2 years today. Pretty easy to do by clicking the Pond Boss link and renewing from the store!
Bob,
I'm listening to an old facebook live video that you did this spring. In this segment you mentioned the presentation and article you wrote about the history of pond/lake management. You said that it wasn't worth writing a book about this as no one would read it. Yet I think many of us would like to read it.

I found your article on the Lake Professional society web page. On the same page was a group of other fantastic sounding articles written by Greg Grimes, Matt Rayl, Mike Otto and others. All the articles are password 'locked'

I'd love to read your article, can you grab that PDF and post a link somewhere on this site? Or better yet would the other authors of the articles on that page mind if last year's information was made public for all of us to read and enjoy by giving us the password?

Here is the link:

http://lakeprofessionals.org/2019-summit-presentations/

Finally, will you be at this organization's 2020 summit coming up in January, 2020 in Florida? I bet many on this forum would love to go but maybe the general public is not invited to this society meeting?

Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
I'll be in touch with Brian to get to work on a series of articles about solar.

IMHO it would be nice to get some input from Wbuffetjr as well. His experience with the unique challenges of dealing with solar in the cold, altitude and snow would be an interesting addition and perhaps be information that is not available else where...maybe his solar and wind power projects together would be something for "the cutting edge" section of PBM?
IMO those presentations should be written up and published in PBoss magazine. I think this would improve the technical side of the magazine. The editor wants to make some content improvement changes and this would be one good way to do it. Plus it would lighten the bimonthly writing load for the editor. Win - Win.
All,

Great insight on what is needed and wanted as it pertains to a set of articles on solar. While it is true this can be a complicated subject, like so many, I started out using cheep controllers and the wrong batteries. Thankfully, I had mentors that showed me the way to do it as a best value proposition. I will work with several to ensure we get the balance right for each article.

It is great to see so much enthusiasm for this topic. I believe solar can change ponds. For me, it goes all the way back to Bob saying aeration is magical when it comes to pond health. I understood immediately what that meant (gases in solution, Boyle's law ect.) and I could see how solar could give that magic to those who don't have electricity at their ponds. I then got busy on my journey. I now use solar to move water and air, light Tilapitopia, and heat water. I have the parts for three more solar projects on the farm and I hope to get to a few of them this winter. I will take pictures of those projects as they progress.

These articles will be fun to collaborate on. Let the journey begin.
I am looking forward to this. I think it's gonna be great!
I'd like to see a couple of articles on stocking trout in a southern LMB pond. What size trout are best as forage, little or bigger guys? What are the results of stocking? How important is it to feed the trout? I have an idea that trout in the winter and TP in summer might be a good, though expensive, strategy. But I've had bad ideas before!
The magazine has in the past had an article or two about fall trout stocking to feed bass and as a cool - cold weather sportfish. It is probably time for the editor to run another trout article. IMO it would be very good if interviews and pictures from pondowners who do this are included in the article/s!!!.

The forum member Catmandoo regularly stocked trout in the fall as an exciting winter sportfish. If you would like to read those past printed articles you can either search the indexes of past issues or do a PB forum or google search for the past forum discussion info and associated pictures. This reminds me to get busy as time allows to create multiple year indexes for PBoss mags post 2007. Look for these cumulative indexes in the Common Q&A Archives section in a month or two.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=22&page=1

Pond Boss Trout Articles:
Trout, as bass forage, Sep-Oct 2000
Trout – put & take, Mar-Apr 2004
Trout rainbow, Mar-Apr 2004
Trout tiger, Sep-Oct 2004
Trout brook spawn box Sep-Oct 2006
Trout catch & release Jul-Aug 2006
Trout cutbow Jan-Feb 2006
Trout Donaldson steelhead Jan-Feb 2006
Trout forage mgmt Sep-Oct 2006
Trout Kamloops Jan-Feb 2006
Trout rainbow hybrids Jan-Feb2006
Trout rainbow varieties Jan-Feb 2006
Trout wild feeding benefits Nov-Dec 2006

Thanks so much, Bill! I hope there's been some scientific studies on this, or at least reports from pondmeisters who've done it. Expensive, but I'm willing to do it if it would help the condition of my fishery.
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

Pond Boss Trout Articles:
Trout, as bass forage, Sep-Oct 2000
Trout – put & take, Mar-Apr 2004
Trout rainbow, Mar-Apr 2004
Trout tiger, Sep-Oct 2004
Trout brook spawn box Sep-Oct 2006
Trout catch & release Jul-Aug 2006
Trout cutbow Jan-Feb 2006
Trout Donaldson steelhead Jan-Feb 2006
Trout forage mgmt Sep-Oct 2006
Trout Kamloops Jan-Feb 2006
Trout rainbow hybrids Jan-Feb2006
Trout rainbow varieties Jan-Feb 2006
Trout wild feeding benefits Nov-Dec 2006

WOW! There were lots of trout articles back in the day!
Most of the PBoss trout articles were written by Mike Mitchell, senior aquatic biologist for Queen of the River Fisheries in Longmont Colorado aka Queen of the River Fish Company. His articles were very well written and highly educational. I miss those articles. More articles like those very informative articles need to be in PBoss magazine. Maybe the editor can coax Mike to provide an occasional article about trout? One article I fondly remember Mike discussed how they were feeding pellets to stream trout and growing some huge trout. An update about that project would be interesting.
Oh wow. I have talked to Mike via phone and email. I could have picked his brain forever. He is the one that turned me onto the Brook Trout strain/genetics (Temiscamies) I am working on getting. He told me about managing two ~40 acres lakes at 10,000' for John Denver. I would LOVE some articles from that guy!!

EDIT: at the same time I totally understand most other folks may not be as interested. I am fairly certain the vast number of subscribers are LMB folks.
I'd be interested in trout management info, even though my location mitigates against year round trout fishery. All learning is helpful.
© Pond Boss Forum