Pond Boss
Posted By: SetterGuy Removing or treating FA - 04/21/19 07:52 PM
I’ve tried some searches. Not getting any results. It’s me. I’m miserable at it. Can someone point me towards some threads on removing or treating FA? I’ve got it this year, and would rather not.
Thanks,
Jeff
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Removing or treating FA - 04/22/19 01:33 AM
Looks like mine lol! But on the upside I have mere baby fish this year than ever before, so maybe it’s a trade off
Posted By: Funky Re: Removing or treating FA - 04/22/19 01:52 AM
That is where I am finding all my small BG this year, lots and lots of 1-2 inch BG all hiding in the clouds of that stuff, and I am leaving it for now.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Removing or treating FA - 04/22/19 02:32 AM
Ok, sounds like maybe I could be a little more patient. I think I’ve heard that before. I get all worked up when the grandkids are coming in. I want them to have the perfect fishing experience. They won’t be there for a few weeks, maybe it’ll change some by then. Hope it’s helping my YP fry survive.
Thx
Posted By: roundy Re: Removing or treating FA - 04/22/19 02:44 AM
A week or so before the big event could you rake a few clear lanes in the better fishing spots? I have considered a long rake apparatus attached to my front end loader and backing up to pull on shore then load and dispose of.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Removing or treating FA - 04/22/19 05:19 AM
Net or rake, following collection remove it from watershed or you'll just reintroduce the nutrients from the decaying FA back into the pond after rain events and continue the cycle. Get it over the dam or collect it and repurpose like I do...it serves as a great mulch fr the garden and also good potting medium combined with soil, peat moss, etc.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Removing or treating FA - 04/22/19 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Net or rake, following collection remove it from watershed or you'll just reintroduce the nutrients from the decaying FA back into the pond after rain events and continue the cycle. Get it over the dam or collect it and repurpose like I do...it serves as a great mulch fr the garden and also good potting medium combined with soil, peat moss, etc.

Do you compost your FA first or just spread/mix it in green?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Removing or treating FA - 04/22/19 02:42 PM
I compost our FA and also use it "green" after it has dried a couple days on the pond shore as mulch/weed barrier straight into the garden.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Removing or treating FA - 04/23/19 11:20 AM
I hauled it all pretty far back up into the woods, but it’s still “above” the water line. Might just be coming back. We are headed into our dry season, so it’s likely we won’t see much additional rain until October. crazy
I’ve raked the fishing area. Hopefully it’ll still be clear May 5th..
© Pond Boss Forum