Pond Boss
Posted By: Bham What to plant as new pond fills? - 04/05/19 12:46 AM
So my new 2.5 acre pond is beginning to fill and was wondering what I should plant down to the current shoreline. Since I'm dependant on rain to fill the pond with no other natural water source feeding in, it may take a while to fill.
Posted By: Vortex 4 Re: What to plant as new pond fills? - 04/05/19 01:24 AM
Where is your pond?
Posted By: Bham Re: What to plant as new pond fills? - 04/05/19 01:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Vortex 4
Where is your pond?

Kansas about 1 hour SW of Kansas City
Posted By: Vortex 4 Re: What to plant as new pond fills? - 04/05/19 02:12 AM
Here in the South we would recommend bermuda grass to stabilize the shore and prevent erosion. The sooner you can get grass growing the better.

Somebody should know the best grass for your area. Even your local feed store should have a good idea.
Posted By: wannapond0001 Re: What to plant as new pond fills? - 04/05/19 12:06 PM
Do you guys water the seeds or let nature take its course? I might have to put in sprinklers. It's time consuming having to water with a hose. It helps that I have a tiny pond.
Posted By: Vortex 4 Re: What to plant as new pond fills? - 04/05/19 12:38 PM
Where there is serious erosion potential sod may be appropriate to get good turf quick. Here - water can be critical where conditions are poor for the grass. Where the soil is good, mother nature may be enough.

To start grass on my pond I purchased a cheap gasoline powered trash pump from Harbor Freight. A jumble of PVC fittings and you can connect garden hoses and irrigate with your pond water.
Posted By: wannapond0001 Re: What to plant as new pond fills? - 04/05/19 01:40 PM
Fortunately the house isn't that far from the pond so a long hose did the trick. I think I might need sod since the dam is mostly clay. I'll see if any grow in the coming weeks. At 500 a pallet, it ain't cheap.
Posted By: BrianL Re: What to plant as new pond fills? - 04/05/19 03:46 PM
Seed and cover with hay.
© Pond Boss Forum