Pond Boss
Posted By: tim k Redear??? - 02/15/19 11:17 PM
good or bad for a pond in Texas - I have bass and bluegill only -
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Redear??? - 02/16/19 12:39 AM
Good good good can’t think any negatives other than those rascals are hard to catch
Posted By: bigpullerman Re: Redear??? - 02/16/19 01:58 AM
That is one fish I plan on getting in my pond. Don't see any downside.
tim k I see you are from Lampasas Tx. I have a cousin that lives in that area.
Posted By: Vortex 4 Re: Redear??? - 02/16/19 02:14 AM
Redears are fond of snails.

Snails are a vector for Bird->snail->fish->bird->... parasites. So redear are recommended to reduce parasites. Pretty much standard in BG LMB ponds.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Redear??? - 02/16/19 07:59 AM
Agree on redears.
Posted By: tim k Re: Redear??? - 02/16/19 01:00 PM
Originally Posted By: bigpullerman
That is one fish I plan on getting in my pond. Don't see any downside.
tim k I see you are from Lampasas Tx. I have a cousin that lives in that area.

actually live outside Georgetown -
Posted By: snrub Re: Redear??? - 02/16/19 06:36 PM
Yes they are good to have in your pond.

RES information and links to other RES threads

More than you ever wanted to know about RES and a fair amount you shouldn't know.
Posted By: CMM Re: Redear??? - 02/17/19 03:18 PM
TimK, don't let the links and obviously authentic photos scare you. RE simply want to be understood and loved as they are. Adopt some today.
Posted By: ewest Re: Redear??? - 02/17/19 05:26 PM
Very good addition. See below pic.
Posted By: tim k Re: Redear??? - 02/22/19 11:02 PM
Stocked 100 of them today on my 1.5 acre pond along with another 500 bluegill and ten lbs of minnows. I already have a strong group of bluegill in my pond but thought I would add a few.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Redear??? - 02/23/19 01:39 PM
I dip seigned the ditches around the house last weekend and caught a few dozen small crawfish and fished them on/near the bottom in hopes of catching one of the few RES I stocked, just to see how they were doing. I caught everything BUT RES!! I'll be glad when Overtons gets in some bigger stockers so I can boost their numbers.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Redear??? - 02/23/19 02:20 PM
Mike
I don’t see many in my pond either, occasionally I’ll catch one as a by catch while fishing a jig for BCP. They hang out in shallow water on sandy bottoms 18”-24”. Fish them with earth worms and you might have better luck. Very elusive in the pond
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Redear??? - 02/23/19 03:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Mike
I don’t see many in my pond either, occasionally I’ll catch one as a by catch while fishing a jig for BCP. They hang out in shallow water on sandy bottoms 18”-24”. Fish them with earth worms and you might have better luck. Very elusive in the pond

Could be I was trying too deep, Pat. I was under the impression that unless spawning, and even then, RES tend to keep to deeper water. I tried everything from around 4' out to 11'. The shallower depths under a bobber, until the length of line got too long to make a decent cast, then I went without it and just splitshot the hook on the bottom.

One thing about crawfish, everything that bit tried to swallow the hook, and I had to cut off several to keep from killing them.

I found a couple of 'dads holding eggs in my bucket, so they got tossed in the pond. I probably signed a death warrant on my Widgeon Grass doing so....hope not.

On another note, my BH are looking really good!! I also find I catch bigger BG if I use doughballs, I seldom ever gut hook one, I can catch several fish on one bait, and hardly ever catch a GSF...crawfish...its one and done, and everything in the pond eats them....except RES, LOL.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Redear??? - 02/23/19 03:42 PM
“Shorty” is the Guru on catching RES , you might PM him
© Pond Boss Forum