Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic How to fish for tilapia? - 09/25/18 04:00 AM
I stocked TP this year and have even seen a couple around a feeder. However, I know they won't make it over winter so I'd like to catch & eat a few.

Any suggestions on how best to get them other than a pellet "fly" near the feeder?
Posted By: airborne3118 Re: How to fish for tilapia? - 09/25/18 08:29 AM
If they have been pellet fed at all, go get some Berkley Power Bait Crappie Nibbles. Get the white ones and put just one on the tip of a hook under a bobber about a foot. This worked wonders for us last year and we plan to do it again this year. And by the way, hold on!! They fight mad crazy.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: How to fish for tilapia? - 09/25/18 03:01 PM
I have also had them hit on earthworms and assorted Berkley Powerbaits. Much like airborne, I had them 9" - 15" down from the surface.
Posted By: anthropic Re: How to fish for tilapia? - 09/25/18 07:50 PM
Thanks for the advice! Never eaten tilapia, at least this will be super fresh...
Posted By: Clay N' Pray Re: How to fish for tilapia? - 09/25/18 09:13 PM
I also have tilapia that need to be removed soon. However, using any type of R&R will be an exercise in futility.
The BG, CC & LMB nail any type of bait.
Hell, the LMB try to eat the bobber!

The Tilapia are timid in comparison.

My plan was to net them in the shallows when they get cold. Long handled net.
The shallow water is warmer so they hang out. Backup plan is a cast net.

Posted By: anthropic Re: How to fish for tilapia? - 09/25/18 10:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Clay N' Pray
I also have tilapia that need to be removed soon. However, using any type of R&R will be an exercise in futility.
The BG, CC & LMB nail any type of bait.
Hell, the LMB try to eat the bobber!

The Tilapia are timid in comparison.

My plan was to net them in the shallows when they get cold. Long handled net.
The shallow water is warmer so they hang out. Backup plan is a cast net.

That's what I fear as well. I see a LOT more CNBG and LMB than TP.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: How to fish for tilapia? - 09/26/18 11:52 AM
My first year with the pond I had Tp everywhere due to low lmb population and so they were easy to catch around the feeders, they were feeder hogs. After that, the following years they were not easy to catch. We did catch a extra large one last year on a big ole worm. the best way for me to catch them now is with a cast net. And Frank when I had so many of them we ate them several times and they were really good eating without that fishy taste that some fish have. Right now, I have been thinking of Todd Overton, to see what it would cost me to add some smaller ones to the pond now for feeding my lmb. I understood he used to have a sale this time of year using the smaller ones. I am also wondering if or how many I even have this fall left in the pond from a spring stocking.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: How to fish for tilapia? - 09/26/18 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: anthropic
Never eaten tilapia, at least this will be super fresh...

Very little taste or texture, IMO. I don't bother trying to remove the belly meat; there's very little of it and a whole lot of intestines.
Posted By: snrub Re: How to fish for tilapia? - 09/26/18 03:25 PM
We had some one year we raised from fingerlings to maybe a half or three quarter pound on the largest ones. We caught a cold snap and dip netted what we could. Never caught many by hook and line but to be truthful I never tried that hard either. Got quite a few and filleted them.

Very mild meat without much if any fish taste. Pretty much taste like whatever seasoning you add. Which is the way I like fish.

I think they are pretty good.
© Pond Boss Forum