Pond Boss
Posted By: JKS3613 Trap upside down. Who? What? How? - 09/06/18 06:56 PM
As some might remember, I posted about 3 months ago about buying a floating turtle trap and I was lamenting the fact that I hadn't caught any turtles in it. Well, after a few weeks, they got used to it and I started catching a few. I now catch one or two every few days. (42 total so far) Well, I went out to check everything this morning and I noticed the trap had been turned completely upside down! (see attached pic) In all the time that it has been out there now, this has never happened. I know the trap tilts down pretty good when a larger turtle climbs up the ramp, but I've caught many large red ears, about as big as they get here, and it has always stayed right side up. I checked the cameras on the road next to the pond and no kids, dogs, or livestock were around. Have any of you ever seen this happen before? Really big turtle maybe?

Attached picture TurtleTrap.jpg
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Trap upside down. Who? What? How? - 09/06/18 07:29 PM
I've not ever been around a turtle trap, but I can tell you that snapping turtles can get big and heavy. Their not that smart either, rather clumsy really. My bet is on a snapper.

Another possibility might be raccoon.

Glad to hear you are catching turtles, however, and apparently you had a few too many. Are you marking the ones you catch and relocate to see if they are coming back?
Posted By: JKS3613 Re: Trap upside down. Who? What? How? - 09/06/18 08:18 PM
Well, I know for a fact that I do have big snappers in this pond because they have killed and maimed my adult ducks!I couldn't catch them because the red ear turtles were so numerous that they would clean the baited hooks off before a snapper could get close to it, so that is why I bought the trap. I am releasing the ones I catch in a deep creek that runs through my property so there is no way they are getting back in after I remove them. I know snappers don't bask in the sun so they don't frequent these type traps, however, SOMETHING big tried to climb it!
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Trap upside down. Who? What? How? - 09/06/18 08:28 PM
What ever it was may have been after a trapped redear...?
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Trap upside down. Who? What? How? - 09/07/18 11:28 AM
have you seen any gators? they like eating turtles and might be an easy meal in the turtle trap. I have learned over the years when lakes are low during the summer the gators will cover some country looking for a new place.
Posted By: JKS3613 Re: Trap upside down. Who? What? How? - 09/07/18 04:58 PM
No gators...that I have seen. They had a couple sneak in a few years ago but haven't seen one since. I'm thinking it had to have been a big snapper. That's the only thing in there large enough to do that, I think.

Originally Posted By: TGW1
have you seen any gators? they like eating turtles and might be an easy meal in the turtle trap. I have learned over the years when lakes are low during the summer the gators will cover some country looking for a new place.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Trap upside down. Who? What? How? - 09/07/18 05:36 PM
Otter?
Posted By: JKS3613 Re: Trap upside down. Who? What? How? - 09/07/18 05:53 PM
Nope. No otter, beaver, or nutria.

Originally Posted By: Sunil
Otter?
Posted By: john kelsey Re: Trap upside down. Who? What? How? - 09/08/18 09:21 AM
A forty works real good to dispatch them.
© Pond Boss Forum