Pond Boss
Posted By: wbuffetjr Best way to weigh and measure?? - 08/24/18 02:50 PM
Let's see how you guys are doing this. I need to get setup to weigh and measure and I would prefer to do it without damaging fish. Show me what works the best!

Thanks!
Posted By: jludwig Re: Best way to weigh and measure?? - 08/24/18 03:05 PM
Food weight scale and a basket. Would have to tare the basket.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Best way to weigh and measure?? - 08/24/18 03:28 PM
This is a photo of my cheapo quickie system.

The scale is from Harbor Freight (on sale = 20$) and weighs up to 11 pounds. It was cheap and I had to take the first one back, it worked out of the box, but not when I needed it the first time. The tray is the bottom of a water cooler jug. Just about anything will work so long as it does not take too much away from the scale's capacity. I put 1 inch tick-marks in the bottom of the tray, but my fish have out grown it already, terrible problem to have so a measuring tape is now in use for the HSB.

I have seen some other systems here on PB that put mine to shame. They have long narrow trays made from pvc with measuring tape stickers in the bottom. I'm sure they will chime in soon.

My only real complaint is that the fish flop all over the place and it makes me want to conk them in the head...but that would defeat the purpose. Getting the scale turned on and tared, then getting the little buggars off the hook, off the ground, into the tray, back off the ground, back into the tray, take a picture of the fish, try to take a picture of the scale measurement, SHOOT! back off the ground, back into the tray......you get the picture!
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Best way to weigh and measure?? - 08/24/18 04:50 PM
When I ran bass tournaments we used a plastic utility sink with a bump board in the bottom. You can hold a little water in it so your fish stay wet. Then have your scale sitting right beside it, already tared out. Theyll still flop around and you may get a little wet, but you won't be picking them up off the ground.
Posted By: Flame Re: Best way to weigh and measure?? - 08/24/18 04:57 PM
I use a digital postal scale that also can be run on batteries. For weighing I just use a Dollar store plastic container. I always dip just a little water into it and zero the scale to that. Then place fish in. The battery operation allows me to take it out on the boat or anywhere around the pond I want. That is for weight. Measuring on the dock I screwed a plastic yardstick down. Never place a fish on a hot Golden Rule or any other hot metal measuring board!! Another nice portable option is a sewing measuring tape...the plastic or cloth kind that you can stick in your back pocket. The kind they would use to measure you for a suit. Which I hope that never happens again!! I used to glue a measuring tape to the bottom of my weighing tub but my fish got too long. Just what I do. Good luck. Postal scale was only about $30 and weighs up to 50 pounds.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Best way to weigh and measure?? - 08/25/18 10:03 AM
Where did you get the postal scale?
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Best way to weigh and measure?? - 08/25/18 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the tips!!
Posted By: Flame Re: Best way to weigh and measure?? - 08/25/18 12:28 PM
Dave, I ordered mine on e-bay. I can find the box with model number and brand if you like but just look on e-bay and you will find many. I have been using mine 3 years without a problem so you might want to use one that has been reliable and durable.Some go to 70-80 pounds also. Most I have ever weighed was a dead otter and 5 gallon bucket...around 22 pounds!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Best way to weigh and measure?? - 08/26/18 09:53 AM
Thanks, I'll look.
© Pond Boss Forum