Pond Boss
Posted By: liquidsquid Wild, rained an inch, pond went clear - 08/10/18 06:49 PM
It has been quite dry this summer here, and the pond is down quite a bit. However, the water has remained "healthy" with about a 24" viewing depth, full of plankton and critters.

It rained heavily a few days ago, and overnight the pond went super clear. Now easily 8 feet down. I can see the fish everywhere, and that the bottom is coated with plants. Even where it is 12 feet deep, it is green. Interestingly also I have no eutrophic layer. It is 82 degrees throughout the column. Lots of sun penetrating the entire column.

It makes for great snorkeling! Can see all the fish.

The good news is I found two lost float raft anchors and a flipper. Now if I can only find my wedding ring?
Very interesting, almost scary! I'll be watching for some expert explanation...All I've got is alien intervention.

Did your pond get completely flushed? Like the rain water was sooo much that it pushed all your nutrient water out.

If my pond did that, I would be buying a snorkel set super fast.
I gained an entire inch of water, still down about 18 inches. It looks like a half-flushed toilet.
Back during early summer we went almost two months without a drop of rain. My visibility stayed at 18-24" throughout this period as the pond dropped 18 inches. When the rains finally came the pond filled up overnight, and may have flushed a little thru the overflow, but not much. Within a week the visibility increased to nearly 5 feet and stayed that way for weeks, then suddenly, almost overnight, it came back to its 18-24 inches.
© Pond Boss Forum