Pond Boss
Posted By: Cadillac Bill Popeye problem in bream? - 04/19/18 11:54 PM
We have a few fish exhibiting these issues. Seem to be about 6 inches long. We feed proper fish pellets. Any ideas? We live in Atlanta Georgia and the lake is about two acres with an eight-foot median depth

Attached picture IMG_0113 (Medium).jpg
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Popeye problem in bream? - 04/20/18 07:14 PM
"Popeye" is actually the common name for exophthalmia (from my old fish aquarium days). I assume you know this or you accidentally guessed it by the fish's appearance. I don't think it is actually caught or contagious, but more of a symptom of a environmental condition. It is non typically confused with any other disease and is the result of poor water conditions which can happen very quickly in an aquarium, but a pond is so much larger...

Do you have any concerns about your water quality?

Do you think your pond might be overcrowded?

I would consider doing some water tests. If water conditions are a problem, a 2 acre BOW might take a long time to turn around.

EDIT: Metal or plastic poisoning can also cause Popeye, but I would bet that is much more common in fish aquariums than ponds. Hopefully one of the PB scientist types will check in soon.

Posted By: ewest Re: Popeye problem in bream? - 04/22/18 03:16 PM
A parasite that effects the eye could be involved. Worm (eye fluke (Diplostomum pseudospathaceum)) that gets in eyes.
© Pond Boss Forum