Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Hey...it's not supposed to do this in Texas! - 01/17/18 02:46 PM
Brrrrrrr.....

I bet the folks in Houston ain't happy campers.
Posted By: Zep Re: Hey...it's not supposed to do this in Texas! - 01/17/18 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
I bet the folks in Houston ain't happy campers.

we had a driver stuck there yesterday.....wrecks/closures all up and down I-45
rare when Houston has more intense winter conditions than us in N-Texas
I literally watched my pond surface freezing over this morning. It’s 2/3rds iced over.

My pond was 47 degrees when I left it a few days ago, now, I bet there is a thin layer of ice on it.

I thought the weather guy and gals said this was going to be a mild winter this year....
Posted By: Zep Re: Hey...it's not supposed to do this in Texas! - 01/17/18 04:34 PM
Tbar....look at that Sat forecast !

9 degrees today and 65 degrees Saturday.....go figure
Originally Posted By: Zep
Tbar....look at that Sat forecast !

9 degrees today and 65 degrees Saturday.....go figure

I’m glad it doesn’t stay like this.
You guys have it nice. I have had 16"s of ice on our pond since Christmas. Tonight is going to be our last cold night for a bit at -19C.

Had one day that it took me all day to dig out from the snow fall with a 6 foot 6 inch snow blower on our 35HP loader tractor.

laugh
I don’t have a pic but it was 5 in Bowie. But that’s where there is cement. A neighbor told me that he saw 2 on his gauge. Hello sunbelt
Little chilly here too. Got down to 77 last night. Gets down to 75 and the locals will be wearing sweaters.

local weather
A first maybe? Big pond's completely iced over this am. I'm betting my CNBG and Florida LMB ain't happy this morning.

Attached picture IMG_4245 copy.jpg
Too cold for this southern boy, if I wanted this kind of weather, I would move to Great lakes area and fish for small mouth. 11 degrees this morning. Day before this weather, my water temps were 46.6 at 3'.
Posted By: RER Re: Hey...it's not supposed to do this in Texas! - 01/18/18 02:28 PM
27 here in st Augustine this morning.

lots of blue tilapia floating already in all the neighborhood retention ponds from the cold spell we had about a week or so ago. Snook and tarpon too, be back to normal weather by Saturday.
Air was 13 again this morning. Same yesterday morning. 8am this morning surface temp was a record low of 41.5 degrees!! I have a thin layer of ice reaching out about 6-8 foot from the banks. Have never had this before. Al, with your pond being 5 times larger than mine I cant believe it ice covered completely!! Are you that much farther north than me in deep east Texas?? My pond is only 2 acres. 13 degrees 2 days in a row and still only a little ice around the banks. Just trying to figure out why??
Originally Posted By: Flame
Air was 13 again this morning. Same yesterday morning. 8am this morning surface temp was a record low of 41.5 degrees!! I have a thin layer of ice reaching out about 6-8 foot from the banks. Have never had this before. Al, with your pond being 5 times larger than mine I cant believe it ice covered completely!! Are you that much farther north than me in deep east Texas?? My pond is only 2 acres. 13 degrees 2 days in a row and still only a little ice around the banks. Just trying to figure out why??

We get that on the lake every morning on the Canadian thanksgiving in October. You need to shake the bow of the boat to break the ice just to go fishing.
Flame, we're about halfway between Texarkana and Dallas. It's been a very different few years for us weather wise. TGW1's about 3 hours southeast of us, and he's needing rain. DD1's about 3 hours west of us, and he is too. We've been at, or near full pool for 3 years now. I don't know why, but for whatever reason, all the weather that comes from northwest of us hits us regularly. That includes big cold fronts like these.

We've had tons of Ringnecks this year, and I'm thinking we've had the only open water during these last 2 cold fronts. No ducks this morning.
Brrr....yesterday's temp in the morning was 9 degrees, this morning was 15.... my 5 Ac pond had only a thin film out about a foot around the edge. Next door neighbor this morning was iced almost all the way across. His pond is 8 Ac and shallow,(6') where mine is a lot deeper. My pond is down about a foot from lack of rain like a lot of guys north of me. Dry Year. Not sure how the fish will fare through this.
Well the Topias are iced over, but the big pond is nearly completely clear. I am due to get a temp reading in a few minutes. But it looks great out there today.
Posted By: Zep Re: Hey...it's not supposed to do this in Texas! - 01/18/18 06:38 PM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
the big pond is nearly completely clear.

Brian this winter my ponds are as clear as they ever have been.
Al. I must say judging by your picture of your beautiful pond, I have solid pine forest surrounding my pond that is probably keeping the temps up some from yours. I am about a foot low also like Pat.
Mark, my vis is something like seven feet right now and that is interesting enough, but I meant clear of ice. The water temp was 43F this morning.

I am hoping this cold kills off some unwanted vegetation.
Hummmm.....Texas ice fishing???

Ice fishing in Texas, how do you get the fly to break the ice, mine would just bounce on the top.
Slide it out to the open water and let it sink ! Just don't try to walk out there and land the fish.
Forecast for 64 today and 68 tomorrow. YEA! Good chance of rain and I could use the rain also. I am not near the fan of cold weather as I once was and no longer make those snow skiing trips to the cold mountain snows. I like it at 64 and 68 smile
I'll take it all. It part of the plan. For instance, I like wild berries and it takes Chill-hours for them flower. Other plants die back in the cold, other things thrive. I like diversity, so this works, but oh my God was it cold here.

Come on spring!
Originally Posted By: Tbar
I literally watched my pond surface freezing over this morning. It’s 2/3rds iced over.

I like your dock - who built it?
Originally Posted By: highflyer
I'll take it all. It part of the plan. For instance, I like wild berries and it takes Chill-hours for them flower. Other plants die back in the cold, other things thrive. I like diversity, so this works, but oh my God was it cold here.

Come on spring!

Brian you are so right. Some plants and tree require a certain amount o f cold to make them do right. But durn it was cold. 9 degrees here. Maybe the bugs won't be so bad
My water color is gray. That's phyto loss that should return with sunshine. Never see it before in the "sun belt".
Dave, mine is cloudy with a tent of green. last time we had snow here the pond went to 4 to 5' of clear water. I have a sample I put in the closet yesterday to see what happens over the next couple of days. I think the drought at my place has caused a dense bloom since early Oct. I need at least a week of good rains.
Boy Tracy you said a mouthful..... rain is eluding us also
Originally Posted By: tim k
Originally Posted By: Tbar

I like your dock - who built it?

A good friend over in Lousiana. Sadly he passed away last year.
Posted By: Zep Re: Hey...it's not supposed to do this in Texas! - 01/22/18 02:15 AM
Tornado Watch here in Van Zandt County, Texas tonight.
Hope we don't get damage again. The watch is over two of my properties in Van Zandt and Wood counties.
I’m down about 5 ft
It did get a little chippy around here last night.

Pond froze over, and a tornado emergency warning to seek cover during one week. Quite the winter for us.
Watching the news it looks like Winnsboro had tornado damage last night.
© Pond Boss Forum