Pond Boss
Posted By: beastman Trying Trout Again - 12/06/17 01:51 PM
As my new pond was filling last year I stocked about 20 trout. They seemed to do well for 4-5 weeks but then we had huge rain event and the pond turned very turbid. Started to see some floaters and then no takers on the feed after it. Pond was about 8-10 ft of the 15ft it is now and the muddy banks made for turbid water after heavy rain.

Fast forward to today, pond is a year old ( you can see my current stock below). Visibility is 2-3FT ( grass now in place on banks ) , was going to try again with the Trout this winter.

Any tips? Trying to source closer to my home , so should only be a 45 min ride before acclimating them to the pond.

Plan to pellet feed and there is still a population of FHM in the pond.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Trying Trout Again - 12/06/17 02:10 PM
There are a few places that ship to your door.
Posted By: Acoursey Re: Trying Trout Again - 12/06/17 03:06 PM
I am guessing you probably had a low DO event that killed them if the pond was not full and had several cloudy days, especially since the pond was still being filled. They should do much better now.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Trying Trout Again - 12/06/17 04:33 PM
Trout don't like muddy water, but that doesn't necessarily kill them. A change in water chemistry can do that, as can a rapid drop in oxygen, often due to a rapid rise in temperature.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Trying Trout Again - 12/07/17 02:23 AM
My best guess is the the big rain event caused the pond to destratify either bringing low DO water to the upper part degrading water DO or the rain event forced too warm of water to the depths where trout were concentrated in cooler water. Maybe a combination of both situations.
Posted By: beastman Re: Trying Trout Again - 12/07/17 02:53 PM
thanks for the replies, I think I am in a much better place for success this time around....
If I remember correctly there was a warm spell and heavy rain so I think that was the main factor , along with the pond not being at capacity yet and turbid conditions after the rain.. Could have been a combination of these items.

Only looking to source 15-25 trout , 10-15 lbs total. Most places that deliver require a minimum and local hatchery doesn't ship till Feb. What places were you thinking Canyoncreek?
© Pond Boss Forum