Pond Boss
Posted By: NEDOC Feed Training SMB vs LMB - 11/29/17 06:49 PM
I haven't dug through the archives, but was interested if there was any appreciable difference between how easily each feed train. I seem to recall reading on this site that SMB feed train more readily, but I can't seem to find that discussion at this time.
Posted By: Jim Wetzel Re: Feed Training SMB vs LMB - 11/29/17 08:04 PM
All the black bass I have trained from species native to midwest are very similar and relatively easy to train to consume pellets.

Are you planning to do a large number in mass? Or a smaller number in tanks / in pond? There are many ways to do it even with different goals.

I will be doing about 10,000 LMB and Spotted Bass and possibly some Smallmouth Bass next June - July. Hope is to provide some prospective bass producers how to do it through hands on training. Will do some crappie in a similar manner but only a couple thousand.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Feed Training SMB vs LMB - 11/29/17 08:17 PM
Jim, there is a great thread if someone can dig it up on the difficulty of pellet training BCP... perhaps you can attach your results to that thread
Posted By: Jim Wetzel Re: Feed Training SMB vs LMB - 11/29/17 08:21 PM
I can give a procedure that works and pointers that published methods overlook as being important. This round will be doing White Crappie although appraoch is the same.
Posted By: NEDOC Re: Feed Training SMB vs LMB - 11/29/17 08:53 PM
Excellent!! When you get the time those pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
Posted By: Jim Wetzel Re: Feed Training SMB vs LMB - 11/29/17 09:18 PM
How many are you trying to do? How big? How are they to be housed during process ponds / tanks / cages?
Posted By: NEDOC Re: Feed Training SMB vs LMB - 11/29/17 09:22 PM
Like the BG/RES hybrid thread, I've got a grow out pond. The smallest is about 600 sq ft and 5' deep. The largest is about 1100 sq ft and 6' deep. So it'd depend which pond I use. But I would mind trying to feed train a thousand or more.
Posted By: Jim Wetzel Re: Feed Training SMB vs LMB - 11/29/17 09:37 PM
Can you set up so fish are more confined, like a tank where water is pumped from pond into tank and allowed to flow back?
Posted By: NEDOC Re: Feed Training SMB vs LMB - 11/29/17 09:54 PM
I definitely could but hadn't even considered that yet. You've got my attention though.
© Pond Boss Forum