Pond Boss
Posted By: tim k when do you stop feeding in Texas - 10/22/17 12:10 AM
when do you stop your feeding?
Posted By: anthropic Re: when do you stop feeding in Texas - 10/22/17 12:57 AM
Tim, the best answer is when the fish stop feeding much. Usually this happens when water (not air) temps fall to around 50 F or less.

For me, this tends to occur in mid to late November, but it varies each year.
Posted By: BrianL Re: when do you stop feeding in Texas - 10/23/17 02:53 PM
I have about a week to 10 days of food left, and will stop when I run out. I would rather stop a few days(weeks) early, than have a 1/2 a feeder full of food that they won't eat because of water temp.

Plus I will enjoy fishing till water gets to cold and that will be better if they aren't full of fish food.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: when do you stop feeding in Texas - 10/24/17 01:25 PM
It depends on the weather/water temp. I'll feed as long as they will eat.
Posted By: Zep Re: when do you stop feeding in Texas - 10/24/17 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
It depends on the weather/water temp. I'll feed as long as they will eat.

Dave this is my first winter having a feeder...

in North Texas is it pretty much standard that every owner turns off the fish feeder at some point during the winter?

If yes...what month typically do you turn yours off?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: when do you stop feeding in Texas - 10/24/17 08:11 PM
Sometime around the first of November. But, if we get a warm spell of 7 to 10 days, I'll start again.
Last two years, in NW Arkansas, I fed until almost first of December. They slowed down a lot after second week of November.
Posted By: jgr Re: when do you stop feeding in Texas - 10/24/17 11:43 PM
The CC quit two weeks ago here. The BG and Strippers are still eating some when the sun is shinning. Water temp. is 60 degrees.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: when do you stop feeding in Texas - 10/25/17 12:29 PM
I know for a fact that Strippers will feed at night any day of the year if one is willing to pay the price smile Just messin with ya, it's nice to know another who has trouble distinguishing between stripers and strippers (spelling that is)
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: when do you stop feeding in Texas - 10/25/17 09:20 PM
I never "quit" feeding. I usually turn the feeder timers off in Jan/Feb, but I'll run a late afternoon manual throw if they are hanging around the feeder on warm days.
© Pond Boss Forum