Pond Boss
Posted By: azteca Burst the rock. - 10/18/17 02:41 AM
Hello.

Is there a member here who has already burst the rock with wooden dowels, the studs must freeze.
I would like to lower the rock one foot by ten feet.

A+
Posted By: esshup Re: Burst the rock. - 10/18/17 04:20 AM
Huh? I don't understand that post.
Posted By: RAH Re: Burst the rock. - 10/18/17 10:23 AM
Maybe he is talking about using expanding wooden dowels (usually due to saturation with water) placed tightly in drilled holes in rock usually arranged in a straight line), to break off pieces of the rock. I have heard of this, but never done it.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Burst the rock. - 10/18/17 04:44 PM
Interesting. I was lost on the first post also. So when the saturated wooden dowel freezes, the expansion is what creates the pressure to bust the rock. I suppose when you don't have access to dynamite, this is an alternative!
Posted By: RAH Re: Burst the rock. - 10/18/17 08:07 PM
I have never heard of the freezing thing. Dry wooden dowels are put in each hole and then water is added. Wood swells when it gets wet. Maybe freezing is another method?
Posted By: azteca Re: Burst the rock. - 10/18/17 08:12 PM
Hello.

Before in the quarries, to have large blocs of Marble and Granite, they made holes and filled the holes with wood, the wood became wet then the frost did the job.

For the dinamite it's too close the house.

A+
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Burst the rock. - 10/19/17 11:55 AM
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Burst the rock. - 10/19/17 01:24 PM
That's fascinating.
Posted By: KapHn8d Re: Burst the rock. - 10/19/17 02:14 PM
That video was incredible. I've never seen that process. The whole time I was thinking, "how is he going to move those?" That is a lot of dense rock! smile
Posted By: highflyer Re: Burst the rock. - 10/19/17 02:58 PM
Its cool what we learn here.
Posted By: azteca Re: Burst the rock. - 10/19/17 07:34 PM
Hello.

For fun I try with a normal ciment drill ha ha it does not even scratch.

I am going to have to buy a diamond or carbon drill, I thing of a diamond drill that the plumber uses to make holes in the marble, they are not very expensive.

A+
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Burst the rock. - 10/19/17 07:58 PM
You will wear through bits quickly without the right equipment:

https://www.unitedrentals.com/en/equipme...drill-30-39-lbs

Could use a double-jack on the cheap, if you have someone daring enough to hold the drill bit while you swing away.

http://miningcontest.com/DOUBLE_JACK.html
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Burst the rock. - 10/20/17 08:05 PM
The ones that are used on the roads in Ontario here have a hole right down the center of the bit where they blow air down them to keep the tip on clean rock.

The hardest part of drilling granite is getting the down pressure on the drill. The last ones we drilled for the dock at the camp we built a wood jig to hold the drill then made a teeter totter with a 4X4 that two of us sat on. Had the drill trigger locked on and plugged the drill in remotely.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Burst the rock. - 10/21/17 12:58 AM
Don, I hadn't thought of the problem of chips in the "hole".
© Pond Boss Forum