Pond Boss
Posted By: R M Wright Muskrats - 08/24/17 01:30 AM
Hi,
I have muskrats digging large holes in the dam of my pond. I live in Bradford County PA and was wondering if there is someone interested / willing to trap these things out?

RMW
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Muskrats - 08/24/17 04:24 AM
RW, welcome to the site. I wouldn't wait for someone to come trap em out. Get out your 22 or 12 gauge and eliminate them before they do serious damage and cost you lots of $$$. Just keep it on the down low.
I don't like to kill things anymore but when groundhogs undermine my barn they are DOA. Don't mess around, get rid of em.
Posted By: esshup Re: Muskrats - 08/24/17 10:29 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I'm with Bob-O. They aren't hard to trap, Conibear 110's placed in their runs work exceptionally well.

If you don't want to do it yourself, there are companies that will do it, at a price. Critter Control is one that comes to mind.

I'd get rid of them now rather than wait until trapping season, IF you can find someone to trap them. That is in November here in Indiana, and many trappers aren't trapping due to the low price of furs when they are in season. Now in Aubust, the furs are completely worthless, and they usually don't get "prime" until later on in November anyway. IIRC last year when prime the muskrats were only bringing $3-$5 each if you were lucky.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Muskrats - 08/24/17 05:54 PM
If you get up very early in the morning and scan the shore line with your eyes you will see them sitting right on the edge grooming them self. This is the best time to snip them with a 22. IF they get into the water shoot for their head and hit the water. The thud to the water is enough to knock them out and they will drown.

22 can skip off water so be sure to know your target and beyond.

Cheers Don.
© Pond Boss Forum