Pond Boss
Posted By: scott69 mixing diquat and cutrine - 07/15/17 10:02 PM
i am not sure what all type vegetation i am fighting. i know i have fa, something that looks and smells like chara, and pondweed. i have used cutrine liquid and granules. i do ok keeping the fa under control, but the chara is steadily spreading. is the root system of pondweed long and weedy?

i just received diquat. what is a good dilution rate? also, would it be good to add a little cutrine?
Posted By: scott69 Re: mixing diquat and cutrine - 07/15/17 10:07 PM
i am guessing that i am covering about 5000 sq ft. that is a wild guess. i figure there is about 800ft of shoreline that is affected. maybe 5ft from the edge on average.
Posted By: scott69 Re: mixing diquat and cutrine - 07/16/17 01:44 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/elWTinfHDcjWZ2DS2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/l0U4cO6gblz8cycf2

is this stringy stuff part of the pond weed plant? it does smell like chara.
Posted By: esshup Re: mixing diquat and cutrine - 07/16/17 01:59 PM
The older that the Chara is, the harder it is to control. Your picture looks like a lot of Chara that was pulled from the pond.

I would use the granules to try to control the Chara, but it will be hard because it's getting well advanced. It's easiest to control when it's that bright green color.
Posted By: scott69 Re: mixing diquat and cutrine - 07/16/17 04:03 PM
kelly duffie i'd it as waterthread pondweed. it doesnt have the garlic smell like chara. but i did have chara last year that did stink. will it lose its smell once it turns colors?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: mixing diquat and cutrine - 07/16/17 04:17 PM
Scott
Did Kelly give it a real name? I looked up waterthread Pondweed and nothing came up. I have the same stuff all around my 5 acre pond and was wondering what it is. It sure has helped with the BG recruitment this year- first yoy- in 3 years
Posted By: scott69 Re: mixing diquat and cutrine - 07/16/17 04:22 PM
Potamogeton diversifolius
aka waterthread pondweed

and i agree about bg recruitment. I have the largest size range of bg that i have ever seen. my goal is trophy, bg and not bass so I don't want too many bg to survive. looks like my pond is headed for a very balanced fishery at this time.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: mixing diquat and cutrine - 07/16/17 04:57 PM
Thanks Scott
Wonder how invasive it is or I shouldn't worry about it
Posted By: scott69 Re: mixing diquat and cutrine - 07/16/17 05:16 PM
my pond is almost 3 years old. so far it has extended out from the shoreline 5-10 ft for several hundred ft.
© Pond Boss Forum