Pond Boss
Posted By: tim k No fish in my pond! - 05/13/17 03:12 PM
I bought property a year ago that had a one acre pond on it. Previous owner told me the pond had gone dry previously so I assume there were no fish. I then noticed some perch and small bass so I assumed they had come downstream when the spring started running again. Then a few months ago while cruising around in my john boat on a sunny day I could see some bass that were a little larger (1-2 lbs). So I thought that was good since my goal is to grow large bass.

This morning while throwing a clear top water at daybreak this guy comes out of nowhere and hammers the lure. Got him into the boat and he will go 5-6 lbs (pic was best I could do and does not show his real size) Talk about a pleasant surprise! I have added various bait fish plus got my feeder going - I was pumped

Posted By: anthropic Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/13/17 06:45 PM
Beautiful fish, Tim. Congratulations!
Posted By: xraytrapper Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/14/17 12:16 AM
Nice surprise. Looks like a healthy fish also. He has been eating well somehow.
Posted By: tim k Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/14/17 12:18 AM
figured out a lot more bait fish in the pond than I imagined which is a good thing - he was very healthy
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/14/17 02:17 AM
Tim, what type of boat is that? Is that a 10 or 11" plastic 'bass boat?' Do you like it? Do you have more pictures? I'm looking for something like that for my much smaller pond.
Posted By: Sunil Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/14/17 02:24 AM
tim k, congratulations on the catch.

Granted you only posted the one picture, but this bass doesn't look like it is really thriving.

The fish's gut line almost looks a bit concave. It's tough to gauge from the picture, but it almost seems a bit thin in the gut.
Posted By: Rainman Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/14/17 03:58 AM
I'm with Sunil on body condition...It could be camera angle, but the gut does look inward, plus the head/eyes looks massive compare to the body. I'd say it's stunted based on this picture. Good news is things can be turned around.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/14/17 10:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Rainman
I'm with Sunil on body condition...It could be camera angle, but the gut does look inward, plus the head/eyes looks massive compare to the body. I'd say it's stunted based on this picture. Good news is things can be turned around.

Uh oh.... grin
Posted By: tim k Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/14/17 11:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
tim k, congratulations on the catch.

Granted you only posted the one picture, but this bass doesn't look like it is really thriving.

The fish's gut line almost looks a bit concave. It's tough to gauge from the picture, but it almost seems a bit thin in the gut.

I have fished bass in ponds for 55 years and this is the third pond I have owned and managed so I have a pretty good idea of a thriving and healthy fish. The fish was in excellent condition - I was trying to shoot the picture with my phone while holding it out in front of me so that affected it - I wanted to get it back in the water asap so I did not spend a lot of time trying to get pictures - thanks for your input
Posted By: tim k Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/14/17 12:06 PM
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Tim, what type of boat is that? Is that a 10 or 11" plastic 'bass boat?' Do you like it? Do you have more pictures? I'm looking for something like that for my much smaller pond.

A Sun Dolphin Pro - 10 foot - I have had it for years. Google them but I think Tractor Supply and Academy may carry them. I will get some pictures when I go back out today and send them. They are awesome - live well, lights, carpet, raised seats, etc. Perfect for ponds and very stable
Posted By: tim k Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/14/17 02:43 PM

Here you go

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/15/17 06:16 AM
Hi Tim - you should get length and weight measurements next time so you can determine the fish WR [relative weight]. That data is very helpful to help determine management strategies moving forward. Congrats on the nice LMB.
Posted By: tim k Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/15/17 10:17 AM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Hi Tim - you should get length and weight measurements next time so you can determine the fish WR [relative weight]. That data is very helpful to help determine management strategies moving forward. Congrats on the nice LMB.

I agree - however I had no idea there was a bass in this pond anywhere close to this so I was not carrying anything to measure with. I also wanted him back in the water asap - will have a tape from now on
Posted By: sprkplug Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/15/17 10:47 AM
You might get a scale also, you really need both as relative weight is proportional, weight to length. Very helpful tools for evaluation.
Posted By: tim k Re: No fish in my pond! - 05/15/17 11:31 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
You might get a scale also, you really need both as relative weight is proportional, weight to length. Very helpful tools for evaluation.

I have a scale - just was not in the boat with me
© Pond Boss Forum