Pond Boss
Posted By: Captain1 Cattle and fish spawning - 04/23/17 04:29 PM
How damaging are wading cattle on nesting RES and CNBG? It seems that a significant number of nests are in the shallows where the cattle frequently wade through. The nests are still there and they seem to get cleaned up quickly after the cattle wade through, but I imaging it takes its toll on the nests. The good news is that I am noting a significant increase in big RE males guarding the nests. Its interesting the way I can go all summer long and not catch may RE's, but in the spring they make their numbers known in the nesting areas.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Cattle and fish spawning - 04/23/17 04:54 PM
Cattle should be fenced out of a pond. They will cause siltation and erosion of the banks, shortening the life of the pond. A trough can be provided for cattle below the pond, fed by a siphon. I imagine it is terribly damaging to fish nesting.
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Cattle and fish spawning - 04/23/17 05:06 PM
I'd imagine hooves stomping in beds with fertilized eggs or fry isn't going to be productive - at the least could you fence off the shore near the beds?
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Cattle and fish spawning - 04/24/17 11:53 AM
If you watch the cattle as they enter the water they will defecate #1 and #2 every time.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Cattle and fish spawning - 04/24/17 05:26 PM
Expect decreased hatch rates from cattle in spawning beds. May expect higher survival rates of fry which do hatch. Also expect fertility issues during hot summer months. Rich waste from cattle can create intense plankton blooms, possibly blue-green algae as well.
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Cattle and fish spawning - 04/27/17 04:55 PM
I restricted the cattle off this part of the property when I saw the nest activity for 3 weeks, but needed the spring grass on that portion of the property so let them back in. I have 5 or 6 nesting areas, and the cattle seem to affect 2 of them. I also noticed that there are now more nests that are in deeper water. (4-5 feet) so maybe the fish have compensated for the negative impact of the cattle?? It isn't practical to fence the areas of the pond that are affected. The pond is about 7 years old and it has had cattle activity its entire life. One thing is certain - I have larger and more CNBG and RES than I have seen previously.
Happy to say that I have not had issues with significant algae.

Thanks for your input. I am seeing another batch of new nests and will likely move the cattle off that property again for a few weeks.
© Pond Boss Forum