Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Sweet gum trees okay for sunken brush? - 03/23/17 08:09 PM
I know that oaks are toxic & shouldn't be used for sunken brush. What about sweet gums, of which I have plenty?

Also, how close should brushpiles be to BG spawning bed areas? Right in among them, or would the spawning disruption make it not worth the extra protection for the little guys?
Posted By: ewest Re: Sweet gum trees okay for sunken brush? - 03/23/17 09:46 PM
I have used both oaks and gums plenty of times with no problem.

Xmas trees on their sides about 10-20 feet from the BG beds in a half circle outside the colony beds is the best idea. Like a fence around the outside ( deep water side) of the colony.

Any dense cover placed Ike that will increase BG yoy survival.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Sweet gum trees okay for sunken brush? - 03/23/17 10:59 PM
Thanks!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Sweet gum trees okay for sunken brush? - 03/24/17 12:35 AM
Sweet gum is in the maple family so should not be a problem. FWIW I only throw cured wood into my brush piles except for a few Christmas trees.
I'll certainly never use oaks again.
Posted By: ewest Re: Sweet gum trees okay for sunken brush? - 03/24/17 06:07 PM
It is interesting that DD1 and I had different results with oaks. It does depend on the situation. I would not take the chance of loading up a small pond with a bunch of oaks especially if green. To many other safe options.
© Pond Boss Forum