Pond Boss
I have LMB, CNBG, RES, and whats left of my FHM. I haven't really ever had much luck on topwater in my lake. I am guessing its due to the natural forage base not being surface dwellers. Whats the best way to crank up a topwater bite on your lake?
Try gently jerking a a 3 inch floating frog when you here them calling for a mate. Late evening is best
I use a medium Rebel Pop-R late in evening near structure or grass. Cast out let set for few seconds then twitch three times and stop then a couple times them stop... do it over and over changing up cadence and BAM! Don't set hook till you actually feel the fish.hard to do.
Yes...I know how to fish topwater, thats not the problem. The fish just don't want it on my lake. Im wondering if adding something like threadfin shad will help.
Our top water bite starts in July and August sith grass hopes and frogs
I have not fished for my young lmb yet but my big cnbg will hit a tiny torpedo and a tiny pop-r. Torpedo I actually reel it back very slow. They knock it out of the water several times before one will hook up. A blast to watch!!
I have found that it helps to sneak up on the pond. My foot steps seem to create lockjaw.
Topwater ... early morning and early evening. When dawn is breaking and dusk is setting in.

I usually start with a smaller size popper. Long cast parallel to the bank in a couple feet of water. Launch it down the shore, let it sit for a bit, then slow reel for a few feet, pause, then alternate cadence with jerks, pops, and retrieves. Most strikes when lure is sitting there after movement.

Sometimes I use a popper, sometimes a fly, sometimes a dragonfly, sometimes a frog. Never had to create or induce a top water bite. Just usual camo clothes, soft steps, parallel casts, and almost always results in strikes.
Again, not looking for topwater tactics. Im asking about what you can do to the lake to make it a better topwater fishery. I appreciate the comments, just not the information I am looking for. Sorry I wasn't more specific in the original post.
Originally Posted By: justinchandler
Again, not looking for topwater tactics. Im asking about what you can do to the lake to make it a better topwater fishery. I appreciate the comments, just not the information I am looking for. Sorry I wasn't more specific in the original post.

I don't know that you can "make" your BOW a better top water fishery. I do believe it is best certain times of the year, and at certain times of the day. If you're fishing during those times of the year and the day and you've tried various lures to no avail, then it seems unlikely you'll somehow be able to coerce the bass to change their feeding and predatory interests. You'll have to "just enjoy" the type of bite they give you there, and then fish topwater at a BOW where the fish are more interested in hitting lures at the surface.
I love topwater action! But it doesn't seem to work in every BOW, probably because there is little in the way of forage at the surface.

One idea you might try is feeding (by hand or machine) the fish at a certain time of the day. If you can get the FHM and CNBG coming to the surface for floating food, some bass may eventually figure out this is an opportunity to chow down.

Just an idea, may not work depending upon your circumstances. But maybe worth a try.
Threadfin shad make a difference. So do insect hatches. If you don't have insect hatches such as mayflies, damselflies, and dragonflies, add habitat for their nymphs. Rocky habitat such as riprap works well, so does submerged wood.
Feeding fish at the surface, as Frank's recommendation above, can also make a difference. Even though your bass may not eat fish food, they'll tend to chase those fish which do.
I have had great luck with a totally clear top water chug bait/popper - in clear water they cannot really see it but can hear it -
Originally Posted By: tim k
I have had great luck with a totally clear top water chug bait/popper - in clear water they cannot really see it but can hear it -

Interesting idea, tim. Reminds me a bit of how black topwaters seem to work best at night, when bass can't see them well.
© Pond Boss Forum