Pond Boss
Posted By: Haab Automatic measurment of water values? - 11/06/16 07:12 PM
Hi
I live in Norway, and have a 1.00.000 Gallon koi(mud)pond. Check out my YouTube-channel in the signature for more details. I have also started a new tread under "Renovating a Pond or Lake?"

I have many questions that I hope to get input on. But what I wonder most is what are the water values I should keep an eye on. Temperature, pH, O2, No2, No3, ???

Are there any solutions for automatic measurement of these values? Since I live in Norway, the temperature in the air varies from + 30C to -20C ...
Posted By: esshup Re: Automatic measurment of water values? - 11/07/16 01:24 AM
Welcome to the forum. I would be concerned with O2 first, and water temp second. You don't want the winter water temp to go much below 2.5°C. Typically the water at the bottom of the pond during the winter will be around 3.9°C.

If you have a few inches of ice and a few inches of snow, the O2 levels will start dropping due to no sunlight penetrating into the water. Winter aeration with the bottom diffusers no deeper than 1/3 the total water depth and keeping an area or areas open that equal to 1/10th to 1/20th of the total pond area should be enough.
Posted By: Haab Re: Automatic measurment of water values? - 11/09/16 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Welcome to the forum. I would be concerned with O2 first, and water temp second. You don't want the winter water temp to go much below 2.5°C. Typically the water at the bottom of the pond during the winter will be around 3.9°C.

If you have a few inches of ice and a few inches of snow, the O2 levels will start dropping due to no sunlight penetrating into the water. Winter aeration with the bottom diffusers no deeper than 1/3 the total water depth and keeping an area or areas open that equal to 1/10th to 1/20th of the total pond area should be enough.

Hi Esshup
Thanks for the nice welcome, and the reply. The pond is 1-4 m deep. I use a diffuser in the deep end of the pond. It enough to keep an open hole in the ice. If I want to measure the temperature during the winter, does anyone have an ide how to do it? An automatic way to do it would be greate smile
Posted By: esshup Re: Automatic measurment of water values? - 11/10/16 12:22 AM
My automatic way is to walk out on the ice, drill a hole and lower a probe to the bottom. wink
Posted By: Haab Re: Automatic measurment of water values? - 11/11/16 02:10 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
My automatic way is to walk out on the ice, drill a hole and lower a probe to the bottom. wink

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I'm too lazy - I want find the temperature of the pond in an app on my phone cool
Haab, I guess that makes sense. But is sounds like trying to enjoy the taste of a beer from afar.
Posted By: Haab Re: Automatic measurment of water values? - 11/15/16 06:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Haab, I guess that makes sense. But is sounds like trying to enjoy the taste of a beer from afar.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Slightly more seriously: The reason whyI want to measure values in the pond digital, is to collect those in a database. That way I can do more research on the importance of water values in this pond smile
Posted By: Haab Re: Automatic measurment of water values? - 11/20/16 01:16 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this system, Seney Pond ?
Posted By: Haab Re: Automatic measurment of water values? - 11/21/16 09:44 PM
Does anyone have experience with this prosuct?

Seneye
© Pond Boss Forum