Pond Boss
Posted By: al allison Oxygen meter for pond water DOi - 11/03/16 05:52 PM
I recently installed new diffuser aerator and two surface aerators on my 9 ax pond in Chester,S.C .I would appreciate some feedback on dissolved oxygen meters that are reliable and relatively easy to operate to check depths to 12'. Budget under $500.00 but not a must.
Advice appreciated.
Al Allison
Posted By: ewest Re: Oxygen meter for pond water DOi - 11/03/16 06:45 PM
There is a wide range of O2 meters and they work differently. YSI is one maker and there are others. What are your plans wrt the meter ?

Here are a couple of threads

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post433166

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=399826&page=1

Posted By: al allison Re: Oxygen meter for pond water DOi - 11/04/16 01:41 AM
Thanks for the response. I experienced a major fish kill in July and recently installed a 4 diffuser Kasco aerator and two 3/4hp Kasco surface aerators. All systems are on separate timers. I operate the timers from 10pm to 9:00 am. I was interested to see if DO levels were adequate through the entire water column and maybe need to run the diffuser system a longer period or maybe full time to see if this is occurring.

I have no experience with DO meters and there seems to be concerns as to the durability and difficulty of use with DO meters. I believe my aeration systems are well designed but I do not know how to verify that the water has de-stratified and oxygen level are adequately mixed.

Your expertise is welcomed and any comments on timed aeration will also be appreciated.

Al Allison
Posted By: ewest Re: Oxygen meter for pond water DOi - 11/04/16 03:27 PM
Ask Kasco to check your results and or give you a simulation. Most DO meters can have problems (operator and or design). There are some (new a few years ago ) that are much less prone to problems but they cost more.

What caused the fish kill? Was it DO related?
Posted By: al allison Re: Oxygen meter for pond water DOi - 11/23/16 03:28 AM
Fish kill definitely due to DO depletion. Thunderstorms for 5 days, no aeration, heavy algae bloom ,3 feeders, abundant TF shad & BG without aeration I experienced a perfect storm. With new aeration systems in place ,I hope to prevent DO depletion in the future.
I was hoping to find an 02 meter that is user friendly that would let me occasionally monitor O2.

Thanks to all Pond Boss folks for your help,

Al Allison
© Pond Boss Forum