Pond Boss
Posted By: 3950robert Did i make a mistake? - 07/24/16 12:01 AM
Hello this is a great site. I recently had a 75'x 150' pond dug and thought i could use some trees for cover. I believe one tree was dead for months and the other had been cut down a couple of weeks ago when we cleared the land. The small amount of water in the pond now has an orange tint to it. Should i be concerned with the tannin in the trees or is this just temporary due to the small volume of water now? When the pond is full will this go away? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Attached picture 20160720_134829 (3).jpg
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Did i make a mistake? - 07/24/16 01:03 AM
That color looks like stain from something maybe soil? As the pond fills the color should dissipate. Return with more pictures if the full pond is the current water color.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Did i make a mistake? - 07/24/16 04:06 AM
It looks like your soil may have some ferric sulfate and Sulphur in it. Both should self correct soon.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Did i make a mistake? - 07/24/16 01:23 PM
Robert, welcome to Pond Boss. Tannin is black and seems to come from fresh cut, green, oaks. It's like pale or diluted ink. That doesn't look like a problem to me.

What part of Texas?
Posted By: 3950robert Re: Did i make a mistake? - 07/24/16 11:53 PM
Thanks for the info guys, thought I had made a big mistake. I'm trying to set up catfish pond with a feeder and some fhm.
Posted By: Turtlemtn Re: Did i make a mistake? - 07/26/16 12:16 AM
A large white oak fell into my 1/4 ac pond years ago and is still there. That was in January, so it didn't take a ton of leaves with it. I don't think it did any harm, but did do a lot of good by providing shelter. I've read a lot about concern because of stain, whether from suspended soil particles, tannin, flooded weeds and grass, or whatever, but I can't recall reading about any serious damage caused by it. The most common effect, if any, is that it cuts down on the amount of algae in the BOW.
Posted By: esshup Re: Did i make a mistake? - 07/26/16 02:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Turtlemtn
A large white oak fell into my 1/4 ac pond years ago and is still there. That was in January, so it didn't take a ton of leaves with it. I don't think it did any harm, but did do a lot of good by providing shelter. I've read a lot about concern because of stain, whether from suspended soil particles, tannin, flooded weeds and grass, or whatever, but I can't recall reading about any serious damage caused by it. The most common effect, if any, is that it cuts down on the amount of algae in the BOW.

I had a 5" dia. branch break off a White Oak Tree in late June and blow into a 1/20 ac pond. Within a few days the water turned black and started to smell. I quickly pulled out the branch and the attached leaves. Luckily the pond didn't experience a fish kill, but I think the only reason is that it was over aerated. I believe that if I had not seen it and pulled it out when I did, the whole pond would have died. The water was black like black ink. It took about a month to go back to the color it was in early June.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Did i make a mistake? - 07/26/16 02:47 PM
They might not stay there if you don't anchor them down some way.
© Pond Boss Forum