Pond Boss
Posted By: scott69 skretting trout for bluegill - 07/22/16 01:21 AM
anyone ever used the skretting trout classic for bg feed? looks high in protein and it looks affordable.
Posted By: scott69 Re: skretting trout for bluegill - 07/22/16 01:24 AM
nevermind. shipping is outrageous. whoa!!!
Posted By: Jeff Moore Re: skretting trout for bluegill - 07/22/16 02:07 AM
I use it, my gills and perch love it. I drive 45 min to get it. 40.00 for 40#. It is the only "real " feed available to me. I can get all the 32% stuff I want but my grass carp ate it up, they wont touch the skretting. I'm thinking it is higher in animal protein
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: skretting trout for bluegill - 07/22/16 02:50 AM
Optimal food has to be about the same price, shipped to your door and the gills and perch will love it too.
Posted By: scott69 Re: skretting trout for bluegill - 07/22/16 03:29 AM
i am already using optimal. i saw where someone mentioned skretting so i went to their website. it was less than $30 a bag, but shipping was awful!! i still buy aquamax from time to time local. id like to give them something different from time to time. i want to make sure they keep on liking round food pellets and not just the longer optimal shape. i like to use the stubby steve baits that resemble aquamax.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: skretting trout for bluegill - 07/22/16 05:29 AM
I use the Skretting classic bass [48/18] for my SMB/HSB in the main pond and the trout brood [46/12] for my YP and BG. I sourced Skretting because I was desperate for an alternative pellet and Optimal was still working on their other formulas at the time. I purchased the 9.5mm pellet 5 of each product and shipping costs were significantly reduced. IIRC I paid around $1.17/lb delivered.

The fish prefer the Skretting immensely over my previous food, but I suspect I'm feeding the BG far more protein than they need, and the classic bass is pretty "hot" as Matt Rayl would say and probably not a good long term solution health wise.

My plan is to go Optimal when they have other food in production and available - I think they're aiming for this Fall.
Posted By: esshup Re: skretting trout for bluegill - 07/26/16 02:26 PM
TJ, better start using up what food you have on hand and get ready to switch. There is a 9mm Optimal Bass food out now. wink grin
© Pond Boss Forum