Pond Boss
Posted By: pondfanatic2016 Seed time - 07/10/16 03:27 AM
Well everyone my pond build is getting closer to being done! Its been very stressful and exciting to say the least! Maybe another week of dry weather it will be complete. Now it is time to prepare the seed. I already have a good supply of molding hay for coverage but I'm debating the best seed blend to use. Right now I'm thinking a mixture of fescue(Kentucky 31), ladino clover, and rye grass.. Any of your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: xraytrapper Re: Seed time - 07/13/16 04:56 AM
I am supposed to have my pond dug in September sometime. would you want hay or any straw blowing into the pond that was covering the grass? I was thinking of using the straw mats for around the water and no loose material for the rest.
Posted By: pondfanatic2016 Re: Seed time - 07/14/16 03:36 AM
The hay was free so im trying to save some $$$ but where would u get straw mats,? What do they normally cost
Posted By: Rainman Re: Seed time - 07/14/16 03:42 AM
Originally Posted By: xraytrapper
I am supposed to have my pond dug in September sometime. would you want hay or any straw blowing into the pond that was covering the grass? I was thinking of using the straw mats for around the water and no loose material for the rest.

Hay and straw in the pond help jump start the eco system and bacterial growth needed to clean the water of ammonia and nitrites, so yes, let it blow in. Better, seed the entire pond basin with wheat and annual rye to help reduce erosion, filter sediments as the pond fills, and provide a substrate for algae and all the microscopic critters that become the base of your food chain. The grasses will die and slowly disappear as the pond fills, but provide lots of good things in the pond both before and after death
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Seed time - 07/14/16 12:05 PM
IMO I would use the straw mats close to the pond. The straw in the mats stays put and keeps the moisture on the seed beds which is what you want. They also provide some erosion control until the seed gets established. I get a much better stand of grass under the mats than under just loose straw. I think I paid like $50 for 8 X 100+ foot mats at Home Depot. I suspect you can find them cheaper at a landscaper supply store.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Seed time - 07/14/16 01:29 PM
pondfanatic2016, how are you planning to water the grass/seed?
Posted By: Rainman Re: Seed time - 07/14/16 02:15 PM
The nylon mesh used to hold Straw mats below the shoreline became Gill Nets, trapping and killing hundreds of Golden Shiners in this thread....

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=33461&Number=440498#Post440498

I'd keep the pre-made mats completely above the anticipated high water line...
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Seed time - 07/14/16 02:33 PM
I agree with Rex. I still have nylon mesh from straw mats that were put out over 2 years ago popping up below the waterline. I pull them out by hand when I see them.
Posted By: xraytrapper Re: Seed time - 07/24/16 07:09 PM
I was planning on putting the straw mats above the rocks just to get that grass established well and plant seed and cover with loose straw around rest of dirt area. Just hope we get enough rain for it to get a good start. Watering would be a problem.
I got two bags of winter wheat seed my farmer friend was gonna throw away. It's three years old so hope it's still good. I planted some in garden to see if it will germinate. I will plant that in pond basin.
Are there any bad parts to having all that wheat in pond when it fills and it eventually dies off?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Seed time - 07/24/16 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Rainman
....I'd keep the pre-made mats completely above the anticipated high water line...

+1
© Pond Boss Forum