Pond Boss
Posted By: pondfanatic2016 TREE - 06/30/16 11:56 PM
Hey guys pond construction starting Tuesday, i need some informative info on my dam.what I have is a 100ft or taller cottonwood tree that will be directly behind my dam/ levee.the base of tree is easily 3-5 ft in diameter and will probably be a good 15-25ft from the water surface of front of dam.this is only one of very few trees anywhere near pond which would be only source of shade, should i have it pushed down or leave it if i can?
Posted By: poppy65 Re: TREE - 07/01/16 12:03 AM
The roots from a tree that tall will go a long way. I hate cottonwoods because the seeds they shed make fishing difficult. That cottony white stuff is hard to get off your line. I have one two hundred feet from my front pond and when the wind is right the stuff is all over my pond. I'd cut it down but I'm afraid it will hit my garage.
Posted By: pondfanatic2016 Re: TREE - 07/01/16 12:23 AM
Yea man i know exactly what you mean. Who knows how far the roots on this one will reach. Im just torn between cutting it down or leaving it. I definitely dont want a possible leak in my levee, but i also want the shade as there isnt any.. decisions decisions
Posted By: Bill D. Re: TREE - 07/01/16 12:38 AM
FWIW I've read that, on most trees, the roots extend out only as far as the canopy of the tree.
Posted By: esshup Re: TREE - 07/01/16 12:56 AM
If you compact the soil over the tree roots by driving equipment over them (think of how far the branches extend out and add another 5-10 feet) or if any dirt is piled up higher than original soil level, the tree may die on it's own. Maybe not right away, it might take 5-10 years but there is a good possibility that it will die.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: TREE - 07/01/16 02:05 AM
I find cottonwoods to be horrendous around a pond for the same reason poppy65 states. You wouldn't believe how much cotton fluff comes off one solitary tree.
Posted By: Rainman Re: TREE - 07/01/16 02:58 AM
I'd take out the Cottonwood. The wood is soft, the tree grows fast, but dies fairly young also at around 60 years. Since your tree is already quite large, it is likely near the end of it's life expectancy.

As other's said also...it is a really REALLY messy tree around water.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: TREE - 07/01/16 10:21 AM
I'd get rid of it. You will be pulling up new cottonwoods on the edges of the pond forever. They are very invasive.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: TREE - 07/01/16 12:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Rainman
I'd take out the Cottonwood. The wood is soft, the tree grows fast, but dies fairly young also at around 60 years. Since your tree is already quite large, it is likely near the end of it's life expectancy.

As other's said also...it is a really REALLY messy tree around water.

I agree with Rainman on this. Plant some trees where you want them with the suns travel. A good 1.5" maple here is about $100 potted and in five years will be a beautiful tree.
Posted By: RC51 Re: TREE - 07/01/16 02:13 PM
That's funny the first tree I got rid of when I bought my pond was a cotton wood!! It was right on the edge of the pond opposite the dam and I still took it down.

They suck up a TON of water too!!! So yeah my vote cut er down!!!

RC
© Pond Boss Forum