Pond Boss
Posted By: Dwight Redear - 05/31/16 01:36 PM
The MN DNR is stocking redear sunfish in the Alexandria lake chain to control zebra mussels. Will it work?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Redear - 05/31/16 01:55 PM
Success will depend on size of stocker RES plus type & number of predators. Minnesota winters are a little chilly for RES. MNDNR would be smart to get their stocker RES from Michigan adapted RES. RES can in good conditions eat a lot of zebra mussels.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Redear - 05/31/16 06:50 PM
Large Mouth Bass, Walleye, Northern Pike are the top end predators.
Posted By: esshup Re: Redear - 06/01/16 06:06 AM
That's a LONG ways North. Lakes at that latitude in Wisconsin only have Pumpkinseeds in them. What size fish will they be stocking and how many per acre?
Posted By: Dwight Re: Redear - 06/01/16 01:08 PM
I don't have any more details on the plan. If you google "redear stocking plan alexandria chain" it finds this thread. smile
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Redear - 06/02/16 01:07 AM
Supposedly MN DNR has enough brainpower to know what they are doing. However....

The book Fishes of Wisconsin does not list RES as a species for that state nor do these two fish experts list RES for Minnesota.
http://academics.cehd.umn.edu/hatch/research/fish/fishes/distribution_table.html
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Redear - 06/02/16 01:52 AM
FWIW Illinois DNR does not recommend RES north of highway 88.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Redear - 06/02/16 02:07 AM
I've been thinking for a few weeks now about the notion of absolutes. It seems to me that many aspects of fish and pond management once regarded as infallible truths may actually be open to much interpretation and implementation.
Posted By: esshup Re: Redear - 06/02/16 06:03 AM
Tony, I agree. There might be a relatively earth shattering announcement later on this year in regards to a fish species, and what can be done with them. That's all I'm saying for now, but my last trip to Arkansas was an eye opener.

If you have ever seen a commercial where the top of peoples heads blew off in a cloud of purple chalk dust, that's what I felt like when I heard what I heard.

That's only 50% of what will be said. The other half is that I am working on doing something like Bruce did with his Condello Bluegills, but this time with cold tolerant RES. I know, I know, one year does not make an absolute, but the feed trained RES that survived last winter in my pond in a cage that was only 3.5' beneath the ice at the deepest point are reproducing this year, and the YOY will be caged, feed trained and overwintered in the same cage and water depth. grin
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Redear - 06/02/16 01:54 PM
esshup,
For sure keep us posted. Nothing like whetting the appetite! If you have success to share keep us posted. I stocked RES twice in my pond and still haven't seen, caught, or netted a one. I'm contemplating a winter kill scenario but not sure why all other fish did great over winter, no visible floaters at ice out etc. I'm hoping they have been shy in the deep and will come to the beds to spawn for the first time soon here. But time is a tickin and water temps are suitable for spawn...

Some feed trained, cold tolerant RES would be a special thing!
Posted By: ewest Re: Redear - 06/02/16 02:44 PM
RES (nor their hybrids) are not listed in Wisc Fish the database for all fish in the state. No doubt there is a lot we don't know. There is also a whole lot we can mess up. Introducing non-native (or genetically changed)species can cause massive problems. Often it is done to try and fix a specific problem or need. If interested check out species introduced into Australia (rabbits and cane toads for example) for the results. I sure hope this turns out well for the people of Wisc and the RES - btw zebra muscles are another introduced species problem we are now dealing with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toads_in_Australia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbits_in_Australia
© Pond Boss Forum