Pond Boss
OK, so I have a question as a total novice. I have a small pond, maybe an acre and a half. Its not been stocked except a hand full of catfish several years ago and last year three, yes three smallmouth bass that I caught in a local private pond and put in my pond. All of them maybe 9-12 inches in size. I have no idea if they lived the winter, what sex ect.

So this spring, starting yesterday we are seeing numerous small (too small to identify from 30-40 feet away) fish or polywogs or something jumping almost in unison or close to the same times. They seem sensitive to sound at times as well. If I yell it creates a bunch of them to jump at the same time.

I want to identify them as they may just be polywogs a we have a ton of frogs in this pond.

I dont think catfish will jump? But thats what has been in there the longest. I found a dead catfish last year, maybe a 1 incher. I think my lab got to it.

Any suggestions?

RUMBLON
Originally Posted By: RUMBLON
OK, so I have a question as a total novice. I have a small pond, maybe an acre and a half. Its not been stocked except a hand full of catfish several years ago and last year three, yes three smallmouth bass that I caught in a local private pond and put in my pond. All of them maybe 9-12 inches in size. I have no idea if they lived the winter, what sex ect.

So this spring, starting yesterday we are seeing numerous small (too small to identify from 30-40 feet away) fish or polywogs or something jumping almost in unison or close to the same times. They seem sensitive to sound at times as well. If I yell it creates a bunch of them to jump at the same time.

I want to identify them as they may just be polywogs a we have a ton of frogs in this pond.

I dont think catfish will jump? But thats what has been in there the longest. I found a dead catfish last year, maybe a 1 incher. I think my lab got to it.

Any suggestions?

RUMBLON

I'm not an expert, but never have I see pollywogs jump out of the water. Maybe they do in Idaho, but...
Originally Posted By: anthropic

Any suggestions?

RUMBLON

I'm not an expert, but never have I see pollywogs jump out of the water. Maybe they do in Idaho, but...

I hate to admit it but I had no idea. So I am wondering what jumping then. Guess I need to find a way to catch some and check.

I have never fished it because I jyst assumed that all I had were those catfish and didnt want to chance loosing any so they would breed. They were channel cats.
Minnows, FHM and/or GSH, are what does it in my ponds. If they are feeding on pellets or other food on the surface, when I drive by in the 4-wheeler they will jump in schools as they are spooked.

But you did not say anything about stocking minnows.
Originally Posted By: snrub
Minnows, FHM and/or GSH, are what does it in my ponds. If they are feeding on pellets or other food on the surface, when I drive by in the 4-wheeler they will jump in schools as they are spooked.

But you did not say anything about stocking minnows.

I have not put in minnows.

RUMBLON
If I yell it creates a bunch of them to jump at the same time.

Just think of the possibilities grin

A pond owner could really have a lot of fun with that!
As many of us know, things can show up in a pond that were never stocked and it often leaves you scratching your head as to how they got in. Any runoff into your pond from a possible pond or stream? I have seen minnows jump like that as a group when being chased by a predator fish.
I know for an absolute fact that they are bull frog tad poles.
They jump out really quick and look like a thumb just sticking out of the water or a head of a turtle.

You my friend have hundreds of bull frog tad poles. I have seen this in a small pond and they will seem like they are jumping together as a group.

Cheers Don.
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
They jump out really quick and look like a thumb just sticking out of the water or a head of a turtle.

You my friend have hundreds of bull frog tad poles. I have seen this in a small pond and they will seem like they are jumping together as a group.

Cheers Don.

We definitely have bull frogs, that deeps base sound right now is loud this time of year.
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD

Cheers Don.

That's what I think too, but Asian Carp also jump out of the water when startled, like with a boat motor....... grin
My $$ is on the bullfrog tadpoles though. wink
© Pond Boss Forum