Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Floating docks -- any suggestions? - 05/27/16 04:53 AM
I'm now at the stage where I'd like to put in a floating dock, preferably one that would have covered areas for two boats, each about 14 to 16 feet.

Any suggestions or experiences?
Posted By: esshup Re: Floating docks -- any suggestions? - 05/27/16 04:56 AM
Don't use barrels, use floats made for that application.

Look at Dockbuilders Supply. They don't have engineering services, but if you can figure out what to buy, that is who I would use for a material source for floats and attaching hardware.

I bought floats from Menards and the quality is about half of what Dockbuilders is. Price at Menards is much less too tho.
Posted By: rjackson Re: Floating docks -- any suggestions? - 05/27/16 11:57 AM
If your pond level doesn't fluctuate much, I'd highly recommend looking into a fixed structure based on both stability and cost.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Floating docks -- any suggestions? - 05/27/16 12:55 PM
Esshup is right, assuming you can afford the floats....floats are better than barrels.

However if, like me, your budget doesn't allow for floats, here's how I did mine and 8 years later the dock is still stable. And that's counting the fact that I never take it out so it freezes in solid every winter.

I used food grade barrels, and I both sealed the bungs with RTV and also rotated them so the bungs were horizontal - to make sure neither one of them spent their time under water - especially important given that the barrels freeze in place each winter.

In 8 years I've only had to replace one barrel.
Posted By: Hollywood Re: Floating docks -- any suggestions? - 05/27/16 01:18 PM
Just built this 12 X 14 a couple weeks ago. I used Techstar, you can order them through Home Depot, though I saved about $30 each ordering them through a local building supply co. They're built pretty close to here so they probably get them direct. Very solid feel. I secured it with concrete and chain off each corner.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Floating docks -- any suggestions? - 05/27/16 01:28 PM
I used dockbuilders as well and was happy with the service and results. The salesman was very helpful in making sure I had all the screws, brackets, etc. for my dock.

There are a few sample docks kits to see at: http://www.dockbuilders.com/floating-dock-plans.htm

I chose the "12'x12' with optional gangway" with the 6 smaller floats instead of the one with the 4 bigger floats.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Floating docks -- any suggestions? - 05/27/16 02:26 PM
I'm in the process myself. I am buying my floats at Docks on Demand out of Benbrook, TX, and got my hardware from Dock Hardware in NY. There are a couple of sites that have good info for building, and #s each float will support, but can't recall them right now.
© Pond Boss Forum