Pond Boss
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Pond or Lake? - 05/25/16 01:22 AM
At what size does a pond become a lake? My neighbor's 7.5 acre has more lake character than pond character in my view.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Pond or Lake? - 05/25/16 01:47 AM
It may be a matter of semantics, John!

Mine is 2 acres, half the people call it a pond, half call it a lake.

For me, it's a pond, yet at it's best has the serenity of a lake.

But right now because of all the rains and runoff and looking like chocolate milk, it's a puddle smile .
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Pond or Lake? - 05/25/16 01:50 AM
I heard a funny one from a real estate agent. If you're selling property, it's a lake. If you're buying it's a pond..
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pond or Lake? - 05/25/16 04:30 AM
Technically, a pond is man made, and a lake is natural, but size has long been what most use to define a lake and pond. Some areas say 5 acres plus, and other areas say 10 acres plus to be a lake. Depth can also be part of the differences in definitions. Some states define a "lake" by size (Maine defines a lake as 10 acres surface area or more)

If you own it, call it whatever you like!
Posted By: airborne3118 Re: Pond or Lake? - 05/25/16 05:22 AM
If that's the case Rex, I have a 600 gallon Koi lake in my back yard. It does have 4 really large bluegill in it though. LOL
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Pond or Lake? - 05/25/16 01:20 PM
I have wondered this same thing many times. Thanks
Posted By: Lake Vilbig - Al Kohutek Re: Pond or Lake? - 05/25/16 05:38 PM
Why do some lake names have the word lake in front of the name and some have the word lake after the name?

Example:

Cedar Creek Lake
Lake Whitney
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Pond or Lake? - 05/26/16 01:45 AM
I looked into the same question a few years ago. FWIW One definition I remember said a BOW has to be big enough to impact weather patterns to be a lake. By that definition, does that mean there are only 5 lakes in the US?
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Pond or Lake? - 05/26/16 01:47 AM
Practically speaking a lake is a BOW that is too large to afford to fix problems with, and a pond is manageable. So if you are not rich like me, then a 1 acre pond is considered a lake. ;-)
© Pond Boss Forum