Pond Boss
Posted By: scott69 geese/snake control? - 05/11/16 01:14 AM
do geese rid a pond of snakes? i have been seeing a few too many this year. also, will they roost on the pond? i have coyotes in the area.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: geese/snake control? - 05/11/16 01:27 AM
FWIW I have never seen a goose go after a snake but I don't doubt they would kill one to protect their young. I doubt they would eat it though. We have yotes and fox at my place. Currently we have two pair of geese. One pair has 3 goslings the other 4.
Posted By: poppy65 Re: geese/snake control? - 05/11/16 02:50 AM
Not sure about all geese but I used to have a pair of white tame geese that killed snakes. They never ate them that I know of but I would find them laying on the pond bank with flattened heads.
Posted By: RC51 Re: geese/snake control? - 05/11/16 02:19 PM
If you want to take care of snakes and you can get one. Get a peacock we had one last year that was our neighbors but it would come around by us during the day. That think flat smoked a snake right in front of us. I couldn't believe it! It was about a 2 foot cooper head from what I could tell... Peacocks are fricken are the best of birds. They may look all beautiful and pretty and such but don't turn your back on them!! smile And they will eat bugs like no other bird I've seen!

RC
Posted By: BrianL Re: geese/snake control? - 05/11/16 02:25 PM
flashlight and shotgun. Walk the edges at night and in a couple days you will have most killed. THey are pretty easy to see at night with a good light.
Posted By: RC51 Re: geese/snake control? - 05/11/16 05:00 PM
Your talking about the snakes right not the geese?? LOL....

RC
Posted By: scott69 Re: geese/snake control? - 05/12/16 01:20 AM
i won't be walking the banks at night, brian. haha. i'm scared of a snake, spiders dont bother me at all. everyone has different phobias i guess. i'd love to have a pair of geese but i am afraid coyotes would get them. if they kill snakes then that would surely be an added bonus.
Posted By: Zep Re: geese/snake control? - 05/12/16 01:48 AM
Originally Posted By: scott69
i won't be walking the banks at night, brian. haha. i'm scared of a snake,

you'd be fine walking the shore in a pair of loose fitting hip waders

These geese appear afraid of the snake:

Posted By: RC51 Re: geese/snake control? - 05/12/16 12:11 PM
You don't want geese, they just bring a mess with them and parasites and usually other geese! Then before you know it you got 10 geese and you cant get rid of them..... Careful what you wish for.... They may look pretty and all on your pond but that's about where it ends... the rest is all high maintenance and a mess..... IMO

Now in that video if that was a peacock you would have seen a dead snake!! Peacocks are like the donkeys of the field that don't back down from coyotes.... Geese they just make a bunch a noise....

RC
Posted By: Sunil Re: geese/snake control? - 05/12/16 12:56 PM
Agree with RC.

Geese are not wanted at any of my ponds. They make a mess crapping EVERYWHERE!!!!
Posted By: dlowrance Re: geese/snake control? - 05/12/16 02:38 PM
We've had geese, ducks, turkeys, guineas, chickens, etc...never a peacock, that's probably next.

I can vouch for the value of both turkeys and guineas as bug and snake killers. Never saw a goose kill a snake though.

And I gently recommend to any goose that lands on my ponds to keep on moving....any benefit they may bring is waaaaay outweighed by the mess they produce.
Posted By: Zep Re: geese/snake control? - 05/12/16 03:10 PM
sounds like if a goose shows up at my
place I am going to feed it Imodium!
Posted By: Sunil Re: geese/snake control? - 05/12/16 03:15 PM
Last night, it was Sunil-0, Geese-1.

I was driving a Toyota 4-Runner in my neighborhood, and a pair of geese were in a set of empty lots. These geese have taken up residence on our neighborhood pond.

So, I thought.."I've got some free time. Why not try and chase them off with the truck??"

Well, I left the road, and proceeded to accelerate into the grass. Once I got over this slight incline, I realized I was now driving in a swamp, and rapidly lost speed.

These geese didn't flinch as I slowed up, self realizing that I was going to get stuck.

In desperation, I honked my horn, and the geese still didn't leave.

Then, I did get stuck.

I heard the geese taunting me as my neighbor pulled my truck out of the muck.
Posted By: esshup Re: geese/snake control? - 05/12/16 05:04 PM
Sunil, send the dogs. They won't get stuck.
Posted By: RC51 Re: geese/snake control? - 05/12/16 07:29 PM
Yeah that's the problem with geese once they take up residence they won't leave man.... You practically got to hit them up side the head to get them to leave.... dam birds..... frown

RC
Posted By: JonyWest Re: geese/snake control? - 04/04/21 01:59 PM
Geese just bring with them clutter, vermin, and usually other geese! Then, before you know it, you have 10 geese and you can't get rid of them. They may look nice and all on your pond, but that's where it ends ... the rest is all meticulous maintenance and clutter. But if you want to get rid of snakes in your pond like I did, go to https://louisville.aaacwildliferemoval.com/. They helped me and made it so snakes can't inhabit my pond. And they also repaired the damage they caused. I have not found a better option at the moment.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: geese/snake control? - 04/05/21 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Sunil
Last night, it was Sunil-0, Geese-1.

I was driving a Toyota 4-Runner in my neighborhood, and a pair of geese were in a set of empty lots. These geese have taken up residence on our neighborhood pond.

So, I thought.."I've got some free time. Why not try and chase them off with the truck??"

Well, I left the road, and proceeded to accelerate into the grass. Once I got over this slight incline, I realized I was now driving in a swamp, and rapidly lost speed.

These geese didn't flinch as I slowed up, self realizing that I was going to get stuck.

In desperation, I honked my horn, and the geese still didn't leave.

Then, I did get stuck.

I heard the geese taunting me as my neighbor pulled my truck out of the muck.
Sunil, I'd like to invite you to Ohio for next month's Mudders Day Mud Run.

Don't worry, we'll get you pulled out.
Posted By: Sunil Re: geese/snake control? - 04/05/21 03:04 PM
I don't have the 4-Runner anymore!! That thing was a super-gas-guzzler!!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: geese/snake control? - 04/05/21 04:26 PM
My Tundra gets about 13 mpg
Posted By: Sunil Re: geese/snake control? - 04/05/21 05:29 PM
Yeah, for whatever reason, Toyota only put a 5-speed automatic transmission in the 4-Runner.
© Pond Boss Forum