Pond Boss
Posted By: RC51 Question about line? - 04/29/16 01:09 PM
Ok so I seem to be having some issues catching BG once in a while even though they are eating good. My question is could it be my 6 lbs test line?? My water is so clear do you think they can see it? Should I go to 4 lbs? Is there a certain type of smaller hook folks use as to make it harder for the fish to see the hook? Or am I over analyzing this all together??

I've never tried 4 lbs.... 6 lbs seems pretty darn easy to break so kinda worried about 4.....

RC
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Question about line? - 04/29/16 02:05 PM
Try clear fluorocarbon....I use Berkley Vanish. It has a much lower refractive factor.

You may need to change your knot if you switch to fluoro though...I use the San Diego knot - to date I've NEVER had the line break at the knot.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/san-diego-jam-knot/

I'm not a huge fan of line tensile less than 6 lb....that's just me. I've had too many hookups when fishing for BG that end up being something a good bit larger.
Posted By: Flame Re: Question about line? - 04/29/16 02:16 PM
Rc what are you using for bait? If I want to guarentee a fish I use a tiny piece of brown or black rubber grub or worm about the size of my feed pellet fished under a cork about 18-24 inches. In your clear water maybe a little deeper. Works with white,yellow,green,and pink,though not as well.I use 6-8 lb.test on all of my ultralite reels.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Question about line? - 04/29/16 02:26 PM
I hate it when I have a line break. First thing I think about is a fish now swimming around with a bait in its mouth and trailing a length of line available to snag him on something. I would go no less than the 6 pound
Posted By: Snakebite Re: Question about line? - 04/29/16 04:45 PM
I usually use spiderwire invisi braid 4lb test. Line is much harder to break and easy cast.
Posted By: esshup Re: Question about line? - 04/29/16 05:03 PM
I laugh in the face of danger I guess. I will fish with 2# and 4# if I know there are no snags that can hang up the line, or underwater weed beds to get caught up in too. I also typically have a landing net to get the fish out of the water if it is approaching 50% of the breaking strength of the line.

IF the drag is set properly, and you DON'T mess with it, and the knot is good, you can catch some pretty big fish on light line.

IIRC I landed a 10+ lb. HSB in TJ's pond on 2# test line. Fireishot was there to witness the catch, and so was TJ.

I tried a bunch of different fluorocarbon lines a few years ago, and I liked Vanish the best. Low memory, limp and good knot strength. ALWAYS wet the knot before pulling it tight, and after catching a few fish I always re-tie.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Question about line? - 04/29/16 05:47 PM
I can no longer see, feel, or tie 2 lb. line.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Question about line? - 04/29/16 06:16 PM
I understand the other arguments but along with Scott I've only used 2# and 4# test on my ultra light rod when fishing for BG and BCP.

I can't say I've pulled in a 10# HSB but certainly enjoyed the challenge of pulling this one in last week which I estimated at 2.5 lb. But if you know how HSB fight, it's not so much the weight of the fish as it is having your drag set properly and from there, just hang on and enjoy the ride!

And I was extra cautious on this one as the knot holding that little Panfish Assassin had already pulled in about a dozen BCP!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Question about line? - 04/29/16 07:17 PM
having the reel drag system set up correctly works, but like said, one must be in pretty much open water when fishing light lines. I have caught many a double digit fish with 6 lb test, but always in open water. Light lines don't work very well in places that have cover.

Tracy
Posted By: esshup Re: Question about line? - 04/29/16 07:31 PM
Originally Posted By: TGW1
having the reel drag system set up correctly works, but like said, one must be in pretty much open water when fishing light lines. I have caught many a double digit fish with 6 lb test, but always in open water. Light lines don't work very well in places that have cover.

Tracy

Tracy, you are 110% correct. If there is any cover, or any chance of the line being frayed on anything, I will fish with heavier line - the most common weight that I use for those instances is between 8# and 12#, but I have fished with much heavier for lighter fish, because of the abrasion issues.

I have used the braids too, and then a fluorocarbon leader.

I strictly use fluro line now in all my freshwater reels.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Question about line? - 04/29/16 08:07 PM
The very best bait I have found for BG is a 1/64 ounce chartreuse jig with #8 hook tipped with a Berkley Gulp Alive Chartreuse Waxie. This combo outperforms earthworms at least three to one in numbers caught for time spent. I use this on a 12 or 14 foot Mr Crappie rod with 4 or 6 pound test line. Just swing it out with about 10 or 12 feet of line out and swim it around about a foot or two off the bottom. That's how I caught all 30 of my brood BG out of a friend's pond.
Tie the jig on with a "Kreh Loop Knot" fot the best action.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Question about line? - 04/29/16 10:12 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
...IIRC I landed a 10+ lb. HSB in TJ's pond on 2# test line. Fireishot was there to witness the catch, and so was TJ...

Sure I was, I had the defibrillator ready for TJ.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Question about line? - 04/30/16 12:49 AM
I'm sure the fish appreciated the 34 minute fight. Should have just filleted it right there.
Posted By: esshup Re: Question about line? - 04/30/16 12:59 AM
Did ya ever see it floating?

Hey, the fish were getting like couch potatoes. They need exercise once in a while!!!!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Question about line? - 04/30/16 01:04 AM
I'm just kidding. Sorta.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Question about line? - 04/30/16 02:26 AM
I use 4 pound green original Berkley FireLine Fused braid! Only a .005" diameter with an ACTUAL break strength that will cut your fingers off before you'll pull hard enough to break it! I have reeled in 10# CC and 6# wild Rainbow trout using the line and never worried a line would snap. Only time a line has broken on me was my own laziness to not cut out obviously worn line.

Very limp, no memory, and virtually no stretch! Also very very abrasion resistant.
Posted By: esshup Re: Question about line? - 04/30/16 04:09 AM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I'm just kidding. Sorta.

I know. I remember you saying that you could never catch a fish on a crank bait. I didn't have a problem! wink grin

Only later did you say that you didn't want treble hooks on lures, only single hooks.

Anyway, I'm blaming it all on Al. laugh
© Pond Boss Forum