Pond Boss
Posted By: Caviler03 Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/12/16 04:30 PM
I caught a CNBG with lots of pink on the stomach and gill plate this weekend. Is this some sign of a fish being sick? Spawning? anyone have any idea?

Fish was prob around 9 inches long
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/12/16 04:35 PM
Not for sure James but I would guess prolly spawning colors. I have different colors of males in my pond also.....
Posted By: ewest Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/12/16 04:57 PM
See these for nice Coppernose BG pics - see if one matches - like this one

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=286755&page=1

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=177215&page=1

Posted By: RC51 Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/12/16 06:00 PM
Yeah I have caught them that color in my pond also!! Seems normal to me, I would say it's a spawning thing.... I have caught about 5 or 6 that way last year...

RC
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/12/16 06:05 PM
Grapefruit coloration. I see that sometimes also.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/13/16 10:18 AM
Allen hall brought me about 125 big CNBG last year to jump start my pond after we finally got rain. Most of them had/have that coloration.
Posted By: Flame Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/13/16 11:36 AM
Cav, I have had several like that and are on the larger fish like yours. Always a male I believe but I will start watching closer in the future and report back.Have had some beautiful yellow bellied ones also. I guess we will start calling the pink ones "grapefruits" now.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/13/16 12:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Caviler03
I caught a CNBG with lots of pink on the stomach and gill plate this weekend. Is this some sign of a fish being sick? Spawning? anyone have any idea?

Fish was prob around 9 inches long

Cav, the one's with the pink may be sissy fish. smile

Tracy
Posted By: Flame Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/13/16 03:51 PM
Tracy, You know real men wear PINK!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/13/16 04:20 PM

Bruce and the infamous pink cowboy hat. PB CON '09
Posted By: ewest Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/13/16 06:47 PM

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post147960 – pink cowboy hat original thread.

We were at the local bait shop/store near Bob's and Bruce went all fashion on us.

Posted By: Flame Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/13/16 08:26 PM
See....I told ya!!!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/14/16 12:40 AM
Flame, Cav, I had to say it, if I did't say it someone else might have. smile I pulled my fly rod out today in an attempt to catch up a few RES. While there I managed to catch some nice OTS CNBG. I looked at these nice BG and saw some good coloring with dark vertical bars. A rugged, tough looking fish. And the bigger ones fought pretty hard. I looked these fish over pretty good, all fat and solid looking, some had a definite helmet head. I looked close to see if any in my pond had any pink, NOPE!! smile

Tracy
Posted By: esshup Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/14/16 01:34 AM
ewest, that's the one that I was looking for!!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/14/16 02:23 PM
That pink hat is well traveled having made several PB conv and events.

Where is it now I wonder ? Also where is the traveling lure box ?
Posted By: highflyer Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/14/16 02:39 PM
The CNBG in our more turbid water has those colors, but the ones from clearer water usually have darker coloration.

The ones I got from George went into little pond and have those colors. They are happy and healthy.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/14/16 10:31 PM
I believe the lures are out in CA with JHAP. I think the hat is with a member who was from Mi. She's no longer active on the forum, and hasn't been for a few years.
Posted By: Bing Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/15/16 01:17 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I believe the lures are out in CA with JHAP. I think the hat is with a member who was from Mi. She's no longer active on the forum, and hasn't been for a few years.

Was that Loretta? Seems she just posted again yesterday after a long absence. I think it was on a Yellow Perch thread.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/15/16 02:00 AM
I wont post any pics of my pink attire.
You are all welcome!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Pink Coppernose Bluegill - 04/15/16 02:26 AM
Bing, no it wasn't Loretta, it was another lady that had a problem with her HOA pond. I think she got fed up with the HOA politics and wasn't involved with the pond any more.
© Pond Boss Forum