Pond Boss
Posted By: Turtle Man What's it worth Trolling Motor? - 04/06/16 07:50 PM
Was not sure which section to put this in. I just bought a old one man bass boat for my ponds. It was made in 1980 by Atsro Plastics in Arlington, TX. It came with two Montgomery Ward Sea King 12 trolling motors. Anyone know what they are worth? They both work just not sure I am going to use them. Right now paddles doing just fine for me to get around.
Posted By: JKB Re: What's it worth Trolling Motor? - 04/06/16 08:18 PM
Back in the day, we use to call it Monkey Wards. Obviously much lower quality than Sears, but that is subjective. But do remember the paper in their catalog was much easier on your tush, or, was that JC Whitney? Enco had some nice paper if you you were in a pinch.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: What's it worth Trolling Motor? - 04/06/16 09:09 PM
I think I'd keep them. Those are great for ponds. I have an ancient Minn Kota 10; probably 40 years old. I need to get off my butt and order a new prop for it.

They probably aren't worth much. I just bought a new Minn Kota 30 from Academy for $100.00
Posted By: esshup Re: What's it worth Trolling Motor? - 04/06/16 09:27 PM
I've seen old trolling motors (that work) going for $20-$25 at garage sales.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: What's it worth Trolling Motor? - 04/06/16 09:32 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I've seen old trolling motors (that work) going for $20-$25 at garage sales.

I'd buy one that worked for that in a heart beat.

I second the vote of just hanging onto them, unless you need the storage space. You won't get much for them and you never know when you might want/need one.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What's it worth Trolling Motor? - 04/06/16 10:45 PM
Originally Posted By: JKB
Back in the day, we use to call it Monkey Wards. Obviously much lower quality than Sears, but that is subjective. But do remember the paper in their catalog was much easier on your tush, or, was that JC Whitney? Enco had some nice paper if you you were in a pinch.

Can't be as bad a Sears Gamefisher outboard. I had a used one that was so bad when it fell of the boat going down the road I just left it. grin
Posted By: joelleye Re: What's it worth Trolling Motor? - 04/06/16 11:35 PM
Cecil, I picked that motor up off the road and worked on it for days. With a little elbow grease and $75 in parts I was able to keep it dying on me for months. Only cost me another $25 to drop it off at the dump. The damage to my right elbow and shoulder from hours of pulling that *!#@ motor has never properly healed. My wife told me not to pick it up.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: What's it worth Trolling Motor? - 04/07/16 01:21 AM
Hey Cecil,

Found a motor just like the one you described at our local dump. Snagged it of course and only had to pay $35 for it. I dropped it off with my buddy to get it running. It only cost me $300 to have him get it running, remove the lower unit and install a fan. Put it in the master bath as an exhaust fan. I thought it worked great but my bride said it was too noisy and kept leaking "stuff" on the floor. Gave it to a guy I saw collecting aluminum cans along the highway. He was thrilled!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What's it worth Trolling Motor? - 04/07/16 02:39 AM
You guys are too funny! But MY story was true!

I did drop it off to some guy my dad met that allegedly worked on motors as a hobby before it ended up in the road. When I came over to pick it up he fired it it up to show me he got it running. I said, "Gee I thought it was water cooled," as he didn't have it in water. He said' "Oops!" blush
Posted By: Dan123 Re: What's it worth Trolling Motor? - 04/07/16 03:28 AM
Cecil we all know you are old, but is that the motor you later sold to that guy in Dayton Ohio that went on to invent the electric starter? Dan
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What's it worth Trolling Motor? - 04/07/16 10:25 AM
Shhhhhhh!
Posted By: stickem' Re: What's it worth Trolling Motor? - 04/07/16 08:48 PM
Not sure about the Sea King trolling motors, but years ago, my first fiberglass boat had a 45hp Sea King on it. When I ordered parts for the motor, I was informed that it was a Chrysler outboard. If Chrysler didn't sell an outboard new in 1965, it was sold to Montgomery Wards as new in 1966 with a "Sea King" cowling on the motor. Not hard to get parts for back then, but you had to watch what you were doing. Easy to work on...and a 45 HP outboard head back then was huge!!! I bet the last 150 Yamaha outboard I had, had a smaller head on it than that old Sea King....man, it would burn the fuel...
© Pond Boss Forum