Pond Boss
Posted By: SetterGuy GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 12:49 AM
We stocked 25# of GS last April. I lost a lot of them right off the bat, due to them getting caught in straw grass matts left in place, when the pond filled.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280...7FE78072A51.jpg

I'm not sure how many I have left. I'm thinking some may have survived, although I have not seen any additional ones get caught in the netting, or anywhere else for that matter.

I've got lots of pallets in for FHM, and they have exploded. It appears my YP may be reproducing.

What should I, can I, do for GS recruitment? All advice has been spot on, and very much appreciated for YP.

My quick research said three years until GS will spawn. I'm hoping that was incorrect.

Thanks,
Jeff
Posted By: Bill D. Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 01:03 AM
SG,

One of the guys that knows what he's talking about will be around soon to answer your question. In the meantime....

FWIW I will relate my limited experience. In spring of 2014 I stocked three 4 to 5 inch GSH that I found as hitch hikers in some FHM. There were no predators in the pond at the time. Yesterday I saw a school of 100 or so 4 to 5 inch GSH in my pond.
Posted By: Corkman Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 01:39 AM
GS? Does that stand for Golden Shiners?
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 01:43 AM
Yes, GS = Golden Shiners.

Bill, thanks for the reply. I'm hoping mine are expanding as well. I did not stock many HBG, SMB, or HSB. I'm hoping the huge #s of FHM I have will continue.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 02:05 AM
These are our GSH almost a year to date since bucket stocked at 3". I witnessed spawning activity in the shade in a wad of grass and roots.
Most are in the 10-11" range.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 02:15 AM
Just got over the YP panic and now ya gotta freak for three yrs bout the GS. Damn it man, glad it ain't me.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Just got over the YP panic and now ya gotta freak for three yrs bout the GS. Damn it man, glad it ain't me.

Holy crap man! It was just a question! Nobodies freakin. Glad I'm not you too?

My apologies, I'm sure Bob-O is is nice guy, just having a bad day.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 03:26 AM
Just yankin yer chain. Last time I made fun of ya I thought ya got a kick out of it. I am not a nice guy tho.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 10:17 AM
Figured you were just jumping the gun on St Paddies Day..
Posted By: esshup Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 02:56 PM
I've stocked 3" GS in clients ponds and there has been reproduction the next year. They spawn on short submerged shoreline vegetation.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 03:01 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I've stocked 3" GS in clients ponds and there has been reproduction the next year. They spawn on short submerged shoreline vegetation.

I don't need to do a thing. Thank you
Posted By: esshup Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 03:08 PM
Originally Posted By: SetterGuy
Originally Posted By: esshup

I don't need to do a thing. Thank you

I wouldn't be surprised if you saw young GS now from them spawning last year.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 03:11 PM
SG, I ain't smart enough ta be able ta jump the gun. Just my normal abnormal sense of humor.
Posted By: ewest Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 03:40 PM
Could the ones you saw have been spawning on /around the grass mats ?
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: GS Spawn Information - 03/14/16 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Could the ones you saw have been spawning on /around the grass mats ?

No, the grass matts acted like gill nets. I had to cut out each fish, in order to release it.
Many died in the process.
© Pond Boss Forum