Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/11/16 04:58 AM
These 70 sq foot puppies are HUGE! Truck driver had to have help getting them out, in fact.

Looking forward to deploying them, eventually. Impressive. smile
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/11/16 07:34 AM
Since I have built a couple of different islands it would be interesting to see yours and what they are like.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/11/16 12:13 PM
You know what they say about threads with no pics.....
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/11/16 01:09 PM
For cryin out loud, it was 2:34 AM John's still tryin ta contain the buzz. New project....very exciting.
Posted By: ewest Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/12/16 02:57 PM
Would love to see the project in pics as it is deployed/constructed !
Posted By: Hollywood Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/12/16 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Would love to see the project in pics as it is deployed/constructed !

Me too! Sounds pretty cool.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/13/16 05:46 AM
Originally Posted By: John Monroe
Since I have built a couple of different islands it would be interesting to see yours and what they are like.

John, I'll have to figure out how to post pics here. They are dark gray and look like steel wool, though of course they are plastic. Four inch deep holes in them to put in soil and plants.

My neighbors are impressed...
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/13/16 06:40 AM
Anthropic I wondered if they told you what plants will grow well with your island. My island grew Petunias well but some things didn't grow well.

Posted By: anthropic Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/13/16 10:22 PM
John, I have talked with the floating island folks a bit. I want to grow perennials because I'm lazy -- don't feel like replanting every year -- and because they usually have deeper root systems.

Irises for sure, maybe some native grasses.

What have you found that grows well?
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/14/16 01:52 PM
Originally Posted By: anthropic
John, I have talked with the floating island folks a bit. I want to grow perennials because I'm lazy -- don't feel like replanting every year -- and because they usually have deeper root systems.

I would recommend a butterfly mix of wild flowers from wallmart. Get the big pack and pant it all. They will come back every year from their own seed.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: andrew davis Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/19/16 12:46 AM
Aquatic iris and some low growing, spreading plants such as creeping jenny, pennywort and parrots feather would complement a picturesque floating island hmm?

Attached picture Ye-Garden-plant-island9low.jpg
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/19/16 01:08 AM
Originally Posted By: andrew davis
Aquatic iris and some low growing, spreading plants such as creeping jenny, pennywort and parrots feather would complement a picturesque floating island hmm?

IMHO Absolutely Awesome!
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/19/16 07:26 AM
Originally Posted By: anthropic

I planted annuals the first year then experimented with vegetables the second year but what I think you will find is that weed seeds find their way to you plantings with your perennials in the next year and you may have to cultivate them. That's what I run into anyway. Finally the third year I just let the island grow what it wanted and it was interesting and looked natural.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/19/16 02:36 PM
Any of the natural bog plants and marginal plants that like "wet feet" should do well on the floating island. I am surprised that Floating Islands International (FII) does not provide a list of plants that grow well on floating islands. FII may be missing a business opportunity by not selling nursery stock and seeds for their floating islands.

Bob Lusk started a floating island, introduced it as an article in PBoss magazine, but he never updated the readers about its progress or succession of plant growth.

Glad to see Andrew Davis still visits our forum.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/19/16 04:53 PM
This sounds interesting to try! If anyone has link to the type of plants that would work good for this please post it. Or if you can make a short quick list. Not looking for colorful stuff just good ole green stuff!! Low Maintenance....

P.S. One other quick question. Would my grass carp mess with something like this or try to anyway??

thx,
RC
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/19/16 05:50 PM
Just Google Bog or Marginal plants and you will find a bunch of places that sell them.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/20/16 01:03 AM
I think grass carp will eat all the roots that grow through the island.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/20/16 04:15 AM
Bill I had grass carp when I had the flowers and they grew well right up until frost. The next year the cabbages didn't so there are mysteries about island plants that I don't understand.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/20/16 05:50 AM
I love what you guys are doing with your floating islands...I really need to get mine going this Spring.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/20/16 01:44 PM
Root mass and depth of growth will depend on the specie of plant. The flowers may have had shallow roots that did not extend through the bottom of the floating island.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/20/16 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Root mass and depth of growth will depend on the specie of plant. The flowers may have had shallow roots that did not extend through the bottom of the floating island.

With agriculture most plants fall into a 4-1 category. What you see for above ground growth you will have 4 times that in root underground growth.

Low maintenance with out any weeds is the wild flower mixes. Choose one that you could like to have as secondary creatures like butterfly's, humming birds, ect.

These are self seeding for the next year. They will grow so thick that you will not have to worry about weeds and the birds just love the seeds in the fall.

Wild flower mixes.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/20/16 08:05 PM
I doubt the most wildflowers will not do very well in a constant water soaked or water logged substrate of a floating island. It would be very interesting to know what species of wild flowers like constantly saturated soils.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/21/16 12:30 AM
I think I would try a few rushes and something in the arrowhead family for sure. Not sure what I would pic for a plant to add some bright color if that is a goal. Please let us know how it goes.
Posted By: snrub Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/21/16 04:55 PM
Keep in mind if what you plant produces seeds your pond banks may eventually be seeded also if the seeds float.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/21/16 06:36 PM
Aren't there species of Iris that are considered emergent vegetation? Blue Flag Iris, maybe?
Posted By: andrew davis Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/22/16 07:16 AM
Aquatic iris such as Versicolor. Laevigata, Louisiana have a neutral buoyancy, given the position when they mass up they will form a sustainable floating island.

They can be complemented with several low growing, spreading aquatic plants such as creeping jenny to go the whole hog on picturesque, as well as creating a safe den for fish to frolic about when the big bad bird Mr. Heron comes sneaking about, besides been shaded from hot midday sun

Regards, andy

Attached picture colchesterii6.jpg
Attached picture clyde-redmond6.jpg
Attached picture ann_chowning6.jpg
Attached picture aablue_pond_iris6.jpg
Attached picture creeping_jenny6.jpg
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 02/22/16 03:17 PM
my blueflag and my Louisiana iris have done well in the water. Sometimes 6" of the plants are under water for a month at a time. They continue to start up new shoots and area. I am sure they would do well on your island.

Tracy
Posted By: ScottyD Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 03/05/16 04:47 AM
I had been wanting an island and last week I put one in.
I planted 4" Pickerelweed Plugs, Soft Rush Plugs & Blue Flag Iris Plugs. By the way, this is my second post on the forum (newbie). First one was about 5 min ago. :o)
I'll post another one after it grows out some... I hope.

Attached picture Island_pic.JPG
Posted By: esshup Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 03/05/16 05:00 AM
Andy, thanks for chiming in. Your expertise and knowledge about the different varieties of lilies, emergents and marginals was missed!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 03/05/16 05:22 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions! Couldn't get hold of a trailer this weekend, looks like it will be a week or two before they go nautical.

These things are so large they look rather ominous against the side of my house. Maybe something you'd use to hide bodies, drugs, guns, or stuff like that.

I've told the neighbors what the deal really is, but they don't seem to believe me: Nobody allows their dog to poop in my yard anymore.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 03/05/16 07:52 AM
My second island isn't as pretty as my first but is more durable and practical. Turtles, frogs and birds use it all of the time and I use it to photograph since conditions for photo's are constantly changing. I think an island adds so much more to a pond.

Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 03/05/16 05:32 PM
anthropic, did we get pictures yet?

John Monroe, how did you build the 2nd floating island? Did you paint it black or wrap it in something? How did you anchor it?
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 03/06/16 06:47 AM
Canyoncreek in the past conversation on islands a year or so ago on pond boss I have a complete description and pictures of how I built this island. The whole thing cost about $60. Basically is is built of 2" x 4' x 8' close cell building foam, pink or blue, you can buy at any big box store. Close cell foam will not absorb water. My first island has been in the water for 4 years. The cover on top of the foam is a walmart black rug made in Equipt and is quite rugged. Holding the rug to the foam is Gorilla Glue plus 4 bolts for extra rug attachment. It is anchored with parachute cord attached to one corner of the rug and to a boat anchor.

You will find the island building in this link.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=432623&page=1

Visitors to the island.

Posted By: andrew davis Re: Floating Islands Arrived! - 03/09/16 09:28 AM
A floating pond island always struck me as a convenient way to make use of old tires, by bolting them together you can make them any configuration you like and after covering them with something suitable as structure for plants to mesh together on, are going to be doing something useful long after they were considered junk...

Creating shade from hot midday sun, protection from predators, a place for fish to spawn, and the bare rooted plants are going to be filtering water quality at the maximum rate...

Regards, andy
© Pond Boss Forum