Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Ultrasound or X-rays to sex fish? - 01/14/16 12:34 AM
I think I saw some questions about this a while back and found the following in my photo bucket library looking for something else.

Was producing my first smallmouth bass fry a couple of years ago and wanted to see if I could sex the brood bass using ultrasound or X-rays at my local vet. The idea was to see if an egg mass would be visible. Here are two that have been anesthetized in a five gallon bucket.

Here the vet is trying a portable ultrasound.

IIRR we didn't see anything discernible so we went on to X-ray a couple of the smallmouth bass.

Here she is getting ready to X-ray a bass.

A couple of X-ray slides:

And a slide of one of the bass that was X-rayed.

The only thing which came out distinctly on the X-ray was the air bladder and bones! ! One of the fish was definitely full of eggs. So apparently neither the ultrasound nor the X-ray seemed to be a viable way to see ovaries in the fish unless we missed something. Maybe inject a dye?

Posted By: snrub Re: Ultrasound or X-rays to sex fish? - 01/14/16 01:58 AM
Next step, MRI. grin
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ultrasound or X-rays to sex fish? - 01/14/16 03:00 AM
One of my taxidermy customers alegedly invented the thing. Maybe we can barter a deal!

grin

How long would the fish have to be in there? If it can't stay in water it might negate the whole thing! LOL
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Ultrasound or X-rays to sex fish? - 01/14/16 03:26 PM
Cecil, send down yer vet with her machines. Some of the chicks I see runnin around have Adams apples.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Ultrasound or X-rays to sex fish? - 01/14/16 03:59 PM
Bob,

Dangit man! You're on the wrong beach again! You need Cecil down there to navigate for ya!
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Ultrasound or X-rays to sex fish? - 01/14/16 09:27 PM
Cecil is the one who got us lost in Ohio, I don't need his "help" down here. By the way traded my pink speedo in for a camo one.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ultrasound or X-rays to sex fish? - 01/15/16 01:51 AM
Bob was looking for a beach with babes and kept saying, "Aren't we close to Cedar Point or something? He sabotaged my directions so he could oggle some bikini babes!

Just kidding of course.

Hey Bob when do you get back? I'm making a trip over there in the spring again.
© Pond Boss Forum