Pond Boss
Posted By: Bocomo Shipping shiners - 12/23/15 01:22 AM
I ordered 5# of FHM and 5# GSH from Anderson for use as bait over the Christmas holiday. They shipped overnight yesterday and the boxes arrived today.

The FHM looked great and are now happily swimming in their aerated tank.

The GSH, however, were all dead when my brother opened the bag. What gives? The temperature was in the the upper 40s/low 50s today and all along the shipping route.

Does anyone have experience with Anderson? What sort of customer service can I expect? I would appreciate a refund or a reshipment at a later date.
Posted By: esshup Re: Shipping shiners - 12/23/15 01:55 AM
FHM are much more tolerant of poor water quality, including lower DO levels.

I've received shipments of both 250,000 fry and brooder GSH from Andersons in different years, and all have arrived in great condition.

I'd call them asap in the am.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Shipping shiners - 12/23/15 02:05 AM
A picture of the dead fish probably wouldn't hurt if you have one to send them
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Shipping shiners - 12/23/15 05:45 AM
5 pounds? Just over half a gallon of fish ? How big/ mature of fish?
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Shipping shiners - 12/23/15 05:55 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
FHM are much more tolerant of poor water quality, including lower DO levels.

I've received shipments of both 250,000 fry and brooder GSH from Andersons in different years, and all have arrived in great condition.

I'd call them asap in the am.

Yeah, that's what I've heard re: DO. I wonder what happened with their GSH boxing -- maybe they didn't charge with enough O2? I'll call them in the morning.

Originally Posted By: fishm_n
5 pounds? Just over half a gallon of fish ? How big/ mature of fish?

I think they were #6 grade, so about 600 GSH around 3" ea I think.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Shipping shiners - 12/23/15 01:08 PM
I've ordered the fry from them this past spring.

They'll probably own up.

It wouldn't hurt to let them know you're active on the forum, but I doubt you'll need that ammo.
Posted By: RER Re: Shipping shiners - 12/23/15 02:40 PM
as much as big an operation and as much as they ship I'm sure they will get you another one out right away...couldn't imagine them not..
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Shipping shiners - 12/23/15 03:05 PM
I also had the 250k shipment of fry from them this past April...showed up perfect. X2 on the advice to reach out to them. A big part of their business is by referral so they should be very interested in making sure they have satisfied customers. We're a fairly small customer group so word of mouth is a big deal.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Shipping shiners - 12/24/15 06:29 AM
They don't want to offer us a refund because my brother didn't take a photograph of the dead fish in the box. frown

Any tips for fishing with fathead minnows in cold water?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Shipping shiners - 12/24/15 01:30 PM
Wow.

I guess they have a point, but still. Are they sending you a new shipment?
Posted By: RER Re: Shipping shiners - 12/24/15 02:40 PM
Dang

I could see them getting taken often by people just saying they had dead fish. It doesn't seem a lot to ask to snap a quick picture of there box with dead fish in it, especially with all the camera phones now days... Does stink for you though...

Although if you paid with Amex they might be able to charge back the funds for such a scenario. But they might want proof too?
Posted By: esshup Re: Shipping shiners - 12/24/15 06:55 PM
I had dead Craws arrive from Smith Creek. Took pictures and there were no questions. Replacements were shipped asap.

Never had a problem with Andersons.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Shipping shiners - 01/03/16 04:54 PM
No go on the refund without the photos. Sigh.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Shipping shiners - 01/03/16 06:06 PM
Unfortunately, a picture is a must for refunding/replacing dead fish...most want to see tails cut off all fish, since a still picture doesn't prove they are dead...
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Shipping shiners - 01/04/16 02:23 AM
I think they should take the customer's word at least the first time. Seeing this result tends to make me wary of buying from them.
© Pond Boss Forum