Pond Boss
Posted By: james holt red ears and zebra mussells - 11/24/15 07:18 PM
can red ears have any positive effect on zebra mussels? do red ears grow larger where zebra mussels are present?
Posted By: Rainman Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/24/15 07:47 PM
Good question, James! My first thought is RES would eat and grow well on Zebra Mussel's. Problem is, legal possession of Zebra's...
Posted By: sprkplug Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/24/15 07:53 PM
Ask the anglers who prowl Havasu out in Arizona about the Quagga mussels, and their apparent contribution to the size of the RES. wink
Posted By: RER Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/24/15 11:17 PM
They could make a great put and take fishery using sheepshead with all those shell fish in that lake. could you imagine 5-8 pound bream in Havasu ....
Posted By: Bill D. Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/25/15 12:05 AM
Dang! Don't get me started on the merits of catching and eating sheepshead(fresh water drum) again! Love that fish!
Posted By: RER Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/25/15 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Dang! Don't get me started on the merits of catching and eating sheepshead(fresh water drum) again! Love that fish!

oh, I meant actual Sheepshead

The sheepshead uses its impressive dentition to crush heavily armored and shelled prey and to scrape barnacles from rocks and pilings.

I have had one living in fresh water for several years now. My pond doesn't have many shellfish, I think it is eating pellets that sink.

Posted By: Bill D. Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/25/15 03:28 PM
Cool looking fish!

Just a bit of trivia...Our northern fresh water "sheepshead" love to eat zebra mussels. smile
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/25/15 10:12 PM
Bill are you referring to a goo?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/25/15 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Bill are you referring to a goo?

Yep, fresh water drum goes by that name and many others. From Wiki:

It is also called shepherd's pie, gray bass,[3] Gasper goo, Gaspergou,[4] gou,[4] grunt, grunter,[3] grinder, wuss fish, and croaker, and is commonly known as sheephead or sheepshead in parts of Canada,[5] the United Kingdom,[6] and the United States.[3][4][7][8]
Posted By: ewest Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/26/15 02:28 AM
There are only a couple species that will eat zebra mussels .
Posted By: Bob-O Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/26/15 04:18 AM
Nice pic Bobby R, bet Cecil could do justice to it.
Only time I've seen a "northern" Sheepshead was on a WE fishing trip on lake ERIE. Looked just like a Carp ta me. I was told ya didn't want ta eat them.
Bill D, got a pic of your version? Also love the name Wuss fish. I'm sure I know several Wuss fishermen.
Seems there are lots of species of drum south of the Mason Dixon line.
Posted By: james holt Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/28/15 09:42 PM
I don't have zebra mussels but all the Lakes around me do. Is there any defense against them
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/29/15 12:23 AM
Don't bring in any fish, water, aquaitic vegetation, or inanimate objects from the other lakes!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/29/15 12:34 AM
+1 My understanding is one of the biggest contributors to the spread is live wells and bilges that are not properly drained and cleaned when boats are moved from one BOW to the next.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/29/15 03:08 AM
And then there are the floods that have taken them from one Texas lake to another. Draining live wells is not a bad idea but it's a knee jerk reaction.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/29/15 06:40 AM
Blue Catfish, Redear Sunfish, and Freshwater Drum all eat zebra mussels, IIRC. Wonder about Pumpkinseed?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/29/15 12:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
+1 My understanding is one of the biggest contributors to the spread is live wells and bilges that are not properly drained and cleaned when boats are moved from one BOW to the next.

BIll, that's exactly what TPWD thinks as well. I've read where they've got game wardens checking boats at public ramps now.

What I've contacted TPWD about several times, and have yet to receive a reply about, is how does a noncommercial individual move fish from private water to private water, and not violate any laws? My worst fear is having a game warden make me drain my tank on the side of the road because I can't prove the fish came from private waters, and are going back into private waters.
Posted By: NEDOC Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/29/15 01:17 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Blue Catfish, Redear Sunfish, and Freshwater Drum all eat zebra mussels, IIRC. Wonder about Pumpkinseed?

Interesting that blue catfish consume zebra mussels.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/30/15 06:02 AM
I am pretty sure I read that Lake Texoma BC utilize mussels as forage as anglers noted their stomachs rattled when caught full of shells. Hopefully one of our TX brothers can confirm or clarify.

Here's one perspective:

http://www.in-fisherman.com/catfish/blue-catfish/blue-catfish-baitfish-and-mussels/
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/30/15 10:25 AM
Interesting article TJ. If they do it I'm wondering why no channel cat reports of them. Most fish are, to some degree, opportunistic feeders. Interesting to me about the article mentioning the sheer numbers of them.

I know very little about bivalves other than that they hitch hike on fish as flukes.
Posted By: NEDOC Re: red ears and zebra mussells - 11/30/15 01:36 PM
Great article TJ. I'm looking forward to my blue catfish 'experiment'.
© Pond Boss Forum